Is it less expensive for American Companies to bring in better educated & trained people from overseas?

to fill their openings or to hire and to train lower educated Americans? Would Companies be willing to hire & train our less prepared young folk? Is that how the GOPs wants to create jobs?

I just read an item that the Gov of Michigan thinks importing people from around the world would be a good idea for his state.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/22/im...

In a Capitalistic society, it is all about cost and making a profit. Yet - in the USA, our unemployment is still fairly high and the job opportunities for better paying employment diminishes as our kids are less well educated. Who should be responsible? the Corps or the Govt? and who pays?

Favorite Answer

There is a weakness in our education system right now. It's part of the destruction of the middle class. People can no longer afford an education. People from other countries benefit from state paid education all the way through the PHD level. The result is fewer US citizens for high end jobs, and lots of foreign competition.

We have lots of kids that can do the highly technical work, but they can't afford the higher degrees.Unemployed parents don't send their kids to grad school! The Governor of Michigan seems to think that anything that might help the working people of his state is wrong. I hope they recall him. The cost for the US government to educate any and all qualified kids, would be a hell of a lot less than a year in Afghanistan. The benefits to our country would far outweigh whatever natural resources we covet in the Mid East.

Hopefully some sanity will return, and the electorate will dump the obstructionist, and warmongering GOP.

Sometimes it's less expensive to bring in people who are already trained and educated, AND have a good work ethic and proper attitude towards the job. I recall one reporter asking a high schooler if he was going to work over the summer. The HSer said, "The only job I can get is at McDonald's and I ain't gonna wear polyester all day." I've always felt that I can train and educate just about anyone to do the job but their work habits and attitudes, not much you can do with that.

Actually, our workforce is much more educated today than just a generation ago.

Most of my parent's friends of the same age didn't go to college when they graduated high school.

I hear people who have BAs in certain fields saying that their degrees are worthless. To get a job in their field they would have to get a higher degree in that field. But the cost of the education for the degree is prohibitive.

Our capitalistic way of living has brought the high cost of higher education to this point.

Really, I think the politicians that say 'we don't have the trained people to do certain jobs in this country' are just pandering to the big businesses that line their pocketbooks.

If you import employees, you are more likely to be able to pay them a lower wage if they come from a part of a country that is impoverished. And if they (employees) are really naive about American laws, the employers can 'jip' them out of certain things, like minimum wage or overtime pay.

I actually know a fellow who this happened to. Came here legally but didn't speak English very well & knew nothing about the culture. Come to find out, his employer wasn't even paying him minimum wage.

NO, I don't think so! We have highly educated people in the United States and it , has to be cheaper to hire them over transporting Europeans to the states. Probably, the biggest drawback is getting the Right person together with the right job. A person say in CA may have a job and a person in Maine has the qualifications, the trick is getting the two together and making the move worthwhile,

It depends on the work. Often the technically trained people just are not available in the US, period. It is very expensive to bring in people from overseas and is only used when there are no other options. If we were not so lazy about our educations it would be different but because we choose useless liberal arts degrees instead of science and engineering we are not qualified for those jobs, or even to be trained into them.

Now, whose fault is that?

• CAL

Don't you think U.S. citizens have a responsibility for getting an education? Why is it the employer's resposibility to educate its workers? If you can't compete with someone who isn't even a native English speaker, maybe you don't deserve the job.

• Power

I have a family member who went to public school did well and sure wasn't rich. So it was his hard work that got him where he is today. When Bush was in office this person had to leave the east coast where we all live and he was away for 2 years cause things dried up here so he moved around taking the projects he could find. After the Obama stimulus he was able to come back so actually he was back here within a year of Obama being in office and about 9 months after O took office he applied for the job. He not only came back but started at a job making a 6 figure salary.

It has been a couple years and now he is living in D.C. and he has a g/f who also makes a 6 figure salary but is making almost twice what he is so they are doing well. I live an hour from D.C. and if you go there at night in the area they live in people are out having dinner, dressed up, living it up. There are no money problems there.

They have people from all over the world there. So while my family member is the average American many of them are from all over.

We need the best and that is why our country was great at one time. We do need for these people to pay more in taxes though. I mean those that make a lot should pay a lot. Republicans are so brainwashed against this because they have no clue that the tv and radio is actually being used to hynotise and addict them to be listeners of more of this brainwashing. It makes so sense for Joe the Plumbers to be afraid of people who have a solid base income and good accountants to pay their fair share.

So there should be a limit of how many can come in but it absolutely needs to be done. Republicans don't want poor families to have a chance at getting a good education. The are against abortion rather than seeing that God can handle it as God handles the deaths from war and other deaths. They only think of everyone as their competition rather than seeing if they have a good country to live in they will live better.

So a program would need to be set up so the future workers would be planted here and grown here so we can make sure the jobs they need are assured. Many of our most intelligent and talented people are not born to parents who are greedy. So the gifte they have are not being used. Look at the singers that have come from shows llike American Idol and youtube. So we need to do both, pay attention to what we have here rather than putting the Mitt Romneys in the best schools or the other rich idiots but educating those that are really going to use their inelligence, cause they have it.

• Keith

He probably is howling about immigration for unskilled labor out of the other side of his mouth at the same time..But...I do think we are on the verge of an education crisis in this country. I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that classes are way way way overcrowded and teachers are expected to be too many other things besides teachers. I think that parents are pretty lacking in their involvement too.

• S

I don't know who is to blame, but we need scientist so badly and many doctors we have from other countries too. It boils down to education also. Many bright kids just can't afford a college program. What good is creating jobs if they aren't going to our own.. Not really sure what my dad meant when he used to say the were pricing themselves out of a job. Looks like it happened.

• Bob

The issue in Michigan exists because both people who like the governor already have jobs..