How would someone do a fraudulent ACH Withdrawal from my bank account?

I recently discovered 6 fraudulent ACH Withdrawals on my checking account. Of course I immediately notified the bank and they filed a claim. All 6 withdrawals went to either Meijer or Kohl's Department Stores. I initially thought they had gotten ahold of my debit card number and used it as credit; however, the bank notified me that they did not have access to a card, but access to my actual account (as in routing numbers and account number, like you would see at the bottom of a check). The first ACH Withdrawal said "CK#" followed by a check number that technically does not exist in my checkbook or has ever existed in my checkbook from that bank as far as I can see. I have written checks to a few places, but very rarely do this.

I do not use Craig's List or similar websites as I've heard about fraudulent check scams through those sites, and I have not responded to any correspondence about changing my bank account info, etc.

It seems to me that because these were not POS (Point of Sale) purchases, the only way it could be pulled off is by fraudulent checks, echecks, or transferring a credit card payment to another bank account.

What I am wondering is why anyone would do this since it would almost clearly lead to the culprit, either by video camera or by the credit accounts online. Are these just really stupid criminals, or is this some kind of scam I am not aware of? Not that I want it to be harder to find the criminals, I certainly wanted them apprehended. I am just confused because it seems like a very stupid plan. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this? What were the results?

Favorite Answer

It would not clearly need to the culprit by video camera, because most stores don't have video cameras, and most of the ones that do only save the recordings for a few days (they are intended to catch shoplifters, not check forgers), so it would be too late by the time the crime was discovered. And, even if there was a surviving video recording, it would not clearly lead to anyone, unless someone watching the video recognized the person.

A video camera means nothing unless the person is already known to the police and is not using a disguise. And as mentioned above most stores only keep video footage for 3-5 days but it can take up to 4 weeks for a check to bounce

But some random person without a police record who had not been photographed by law enforcement would not be recognizeable on video footage. Walmart has thousands of customers a day and the chances of finding the person who wrote the bad check are very slim