How can it possibly be wrong for older ladies to climb second story balconies in the dark?

Last night, my new neighbor who lives above my apartment, locked herself out. We found this out at midnight after sitting outside all night and consuming rum and cokes. We called for help which didn't come. Against my better wishes, we took our picnic table and placed it on my patio under her balcony railing.

Then they hauled a yard bench, which was wobbly, and set it atop the table.. The locked out lady then climbed to the top board of the bench with we other two balancing her, who is not skinny, the wobbly bench, and the table What a sight from below!! You have no idea!!

Hanging on the outside of her balcony railing, it proved to be too high for her to scale....I think it was more to do with her weight but I didn't say anything. So down she precariously came. I thought I would give it a try and when I reached the railing, could jump up and over it and go unlock her front door. They wouldn't even hear of me doing that.....so what if they are young and in their 50's and I am pushing 70 at breakneck speed?

We had to wait til late morning for maintenance to arrive. This is perfectly true and it's life in the village....by the 3 village idiots.

• Rivers
    Favorite Answer

There is nothing wrong. You gotta do what you gotta do. I think you had a great idea and should have gone through with it. You know your limits and if you had any idea that you would have hurt yourself, you would have known not to do it. I commend you for that..

Some people are just afraid to do some things. I believe if something is possible, I will give it my best try. Anyway, I have always found it faster to do things myself than wait for someone else to come along and handle it.

There were other possibilities that could of been used but l guess nobody though of it. One would be throw a rope to lady, have her pull the rope up, with a hammer at the end of the rope. she can then brake the glass on the door and let herself in. The method you used was dangerous and if this is a true story you were very lucky,indeed

You go, Daisy! I had to do that with my townhouse last year. I just wanted to run next door to my neighbor's to borrow some lemon juice and closed the back door behind me out of habit...yup...it was locked. My neighbor came outside to see what the heck was going on outside (as I was already in the process of scaling the adjoining stockade fence so I could reach the balcony)...she literally screamed when she discovered my 'antics' and ran back inside to get her 18 year old son (who, by the way...it never even occurred to me to ask...lol) but by the time they got back outside I was already back downstairs opening up my back door.

Hilarious! Funny! 100!

• DeeJay

I hope a good time was had by all.LOL

Your candid description - equals a very funny image in my minds eye.

Too bad - someone didn't grab a video camera. A sure winner for Funny Home Video's.

I'll bet she has an extra key made.

Very funny.

DeeJay.

• -

I think if you called 9-1-1 they would have sent a ladder truck to help get her down.

Someone could have gotten hurt and glad no one was.

Age is merely a number. Never focus on your age only your abilities. As long as you're able to 'cut the mustard' then do so and never let anyone tell you you're too old. Let your body tell you when you shouldn't do something, NOT your mind.

Yeah, it's amazing how fear subsides as the alcyhol increases.

I'm glad you made it back to the ground safely & you now have an adventurous tale to tell.

Keep on truckin'.

• Keith

I don't know Daisy, it sounds kind of iffy to me. Even for a young person. But then I am afraid of heights, just climbing up onto my bar stool is plenty high enough for me. lol.

• Lily

Strewth daisy, just reading your post gave me vertigo.

I admire you for wanting to try and help but I'm so pleased you were talked out of it..ooh the 'what ifs' are too scary to imagine.