Book suggestions for teens?

I went to Barnes & Noble the other day to look for some good young adult fiction, but it seemed as if the shelves were covered with badly written paranormal romance sagas trying desperately to be the next Twilight. (That sounded kind of mean and bitter, but I really don't know how else I can express how much I don't like the vampire/angel genre.) Don't get me wrong, I actually really like the supernatural/fantasy genre, but only if they're well written. If you could suggest any good young adult books, that would be great! I need some good books for summer!

Books that I love:

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

The Forbidden Game Trilogy by L.J. Smith

Inkheart (only the first book) by Cornelia Funke

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Who Put That Hair in My Toothbrush? by Jerry Spinelli

Books that I like:

The List by Siobhan Vivian

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Hate List by Jennifer Brown

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Books that I STRONGLY dislike:

The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer

The Goddess of the Night Series by Lynne Ewing

The Dark Visions Trilogy by L.J. Smith

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

Supernatural/paranormal

Shatter me by Tahereh Mafi

Paranormalcy by Kiersten white

Never cry werewolf by Hether davis

Blood and chocolate by Annette curtis Klaus

Sisters red by jackson pearce

Night world books by L.J Smith

The last vampire books by L.J Smith

Southern vampire books by Charlaine Harris

Tantalize by Cynthia Lietich Smith

Vampire crush by a.m robinson

Boys that bite by Mari Mancusi

Vampire academy by Rachel Mead

House of night series by P.c and kirsten Cast

Vampire diaries by L.J Smith

Strange Angels by Lili St. crowe

Anna dressed in blood by Kendare Blake

Shifting by Bethany wiggins

44 by jools sinclair

Raven by suzy Turner

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Vampire kisses by Ellen Shreiber

City of bones by Cassandra Clare

Skinned by Robin Wasserman

Eva by Peter Dickinson

Full moon by Rachel Hawthorne

Peeps by Scott westerfield

Midnighters by Scott westerfield

Dystopian/Post apocalyptic

The last Princess By Galaxy Craze

The way we fall by Megan Crew

Shipbreaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

The drowned cities by Paolo Bacigalupi

Deliruim by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium By Lauren Oliver

Wither by Lauren Destefano

Fever by Lauren Destefano

Legend by Marie Lu

Pure by Julianna Baggott

The shadow speaker by Nnedi Okorafor

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

Across the universe by Beth revis

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Blood red road by Moira young

Slated by Terri Terry

Hollowlands by Amanda Hocking

Hollow by Jessica Verdy

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

All these things I've done by Gabrielle Zevin

Uglies by Scott westerfield

Leviathon By Scott westerfield

So yesterday by Scott Westerfield

Evolutions Darling by Scott westerfield

How I live Now by Meg Rossoff

Under the never sky by Veronica Rossi

Divergent by veronica roth

Gone by Michael Grant

Rash by Pete Hautman

The lost Code By Keith Emerson

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Monument 14

No safety in numbers

The Hunt

More suggestions on Goodreads.com Check it out

random books or like

Series of unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket

Willow

Wintergirls

After

Water for elephants

Source(s): Me, Google, Goodreads

The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare - the writing isnt that great but the plots are interesting, intense and funny all at once

If you like the hunger games, try Orwell's 1984 - it's a more mature, meaningful story with pretty much the same themes but the writing style is better

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater - kinda like a werewolf version of Twilight, but not as corny and has more of the "fantasy" feel

The maze runner by James Dashner - sorta like Harry potter and the hunger games combined

A song of ice and fire by George RR Martin - AWESOME.

Look some of these up if you want to know what they're about

Hope this helps

Happy reading ;)

The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks are my favourite books of all time, the story is incredible, it's very well written and the story continues to get better, it's pretty dark, and I'd say it's more on the adult side, but I read the first book 'The Way of Shadows', when I was fifteen...you just have to be mature enough to read them, the image it creates in your mind is amazing, I seriously love this trilogy. They're totally in the supernatural/fantasy area too.

If you like Sarah Dessen, I'd read all of her books. My personal favourite of hers is Lock and Key; it's pretty intense at points plot wise, but it still has the typical romantic, teenage perspective of her.

Another book I absolutely loved is The Book Thief. It's based around World War Two in Germany, when everyone is being brainwashed by Hitler and Jews are being persecuted. The story is hard to explain, but it's in the perspective of Death; you know, the grim reaper. It's about a little girl who is brought to a foster family. She was supposed to go with her brother but something happens so she goes by herself. She finds solace in the books she steals (her family is very poor) and her foster father who turns out to be a jew smuggler. I don't want to give anything away, but I hope that makes sense. Maybe look at a review online? If you like war books this one is fantastic. Also sad.

Another book I'd recommend it A Strange Manuscript Found In A Copper Cylinder. This I read a very long time ago so I don't remember all the details, so I'd look up a review online as well. Apparently this is a second year university book, but other than a few words I didn't know I didn't find it hard to read. It's about explorers that go on a canoe away from their boat, and their friends leave without them, so they're left to fend for themselves. It's somewhat of a fantasy, but it's really, really good. I can't stand fantasies, like avatar, etc, but this book I loved!

I also personally love true crime sorts of books... I'm reading one about Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka right now (a canadian couple that raped and killed girls) and one about Ted Bundy (a famous serial killer). If you like that kind of thing those books are really interesting.

Books that have been recommended to me are The Help and The Poison Wood Bible. I haven't read them yet but I hear both are amazing.

Source(s): I'm 17 and I love reading :)
  • Alice

Try Nokosee: Rise of the New Seminole and its sequel Nokosee & Stormy: Love & Bullets. Both are contemporary "pre-dystopian" books written from a 17-year-old girl's POV. They come with lots of action and adventure and Stormy Jones, the girl in the stories, is a character that will stick with you for a long time. She's far from perfect but she's real enough to want to love her and pull for her during her life on the run with Nokosee.

Cherry by Mary Karr. A memoir about teens, sex, drugs and growing up in rural Texas as told through the gritty, beautiful prose of one of America's best writers having taught at Harvard and currently teaching as the Peck Professor of English Literature at Syracuse University. It's a book every teen girl should read. If the opening paragraph doesn't do it for you, nothing will. On June 5, 2012, she released her first music CD as a co-writer with Rodney Crowel called "Kin."

The Liar's Club by Mary Karr. Another moving memoir recounting her earlier years (you should probably read this one first and then Cherry).

Jennifer Miller’s just released debut novel The Year of the Gadfly is a tale of prep school scandal and secret societies starring a very precocious 15-year-old young lady named Iris Dupont, whose best and only friend is the chain-smoking ghost of famed broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow. If it sounds weirdly wonderful, it is – Iris would kill us for using a cliché here, but we can’t help but call the novel compulsively readable, and it feels a little something like a cross between The Secret History and Gossip Girl, although with significantly more masturbation scenes than the former and more dusty tomes than the latter. As reviewed by Emily Temple, Flavorwire

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. A moving story inspired by true events about the suicides of five teenage sisters as told from the viewpoint (for the most part) of randy teenage boys who try to explain it all.

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg. A critically appraised and touching semi-autobiographical story of a 16-year-old girl battling schizophrenia in a mental hospital.

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. Begins with the life of a school girl with no friends and follows her through many wrong turns until she makes a right one and finds love. The book gives us one of the most memorable characters in literature: Dolores Price.

I would suggest Wings Series, Shadow falls series, The secret Circle series & The Moth Diaries .. They're really good!

The Selection--by Kiera Cass

^^I was actually surprised by how good that one is.

Also, Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (and the following books in the series). They are by far some of my favorite books!

There are airships/pirates. Need I say more? ;)

If you like contemporary romance, try Lucky Charm and On the Rim of Love by Marie Astor

http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Charm-Contemporary-Rom...

http://www.amazon.com/Rim-Love-Contemporary-Romanc...