Best products for african americans to prevent and stop shaving bumps!?

Ok so I'm really frustrated and finally came here for suggestions. I tried everything to stop razor bumps. I've tried preshave, razors, shave cream brush, after shave, shaving in the shower, conditioner on my face before shaving, tea tree oil (worked best out of everything), magic shave razorless depository, electric shaver. Does anyone know the best shaving system for african americans. I would really like a smooth face without having all these neck and face bumps after I shave. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

myronn,

First, I have to preface this by saying that I'm caucasian, not african american, so I can't speak from personal experience. But, it is my understanding that the reason african americans get shaving bumps is because most shaving systems cut (or dissolve) the hair slightly below the skin and that your hair is so curly that it digs underneath your skin before it has a chance to get out of your pores.

All the systems that you mentioned, even depilatories and electric shavers, but especially multi-bladed razors, do this. You didn't specifically mention single-bladed, double-edged, or even straight razors, and I think these are your solution. All of these razors use one blade, so it's very easy to have a close shave that does not cut the hair below the skin line.

The trick is to let the razor do the work, do not press down on the blade and don't try to stretch your skin for a closer shave.

The other stuff you mention (like preshave, shaving brushes, conditioner and tea tree oil) all serve to soften the beard and lubricate the face for shaving, so by all means continue using what works best.

In the end, some african americans have such curly hair that it grows back into the skin even if you didn't cut it below the skin. In that case, you may have to settle for having a two or three day growth and just use a beard trimmer to keep it at that level.

Good luck.

Source(s): www.badgerandblade.com (a good forum to read or ask about double-edged shaving or straight razor shaving)

Although it could harm slightly extra, you're larger off waxing... and shaving bumps are truthfully beautiful traditional, I get them whenever I shave. I cannot even propose you a well cream, when you consider that I have not observed person who removes them myself