Do you like The Legend of Korra or Avatar: The Last Airbender better?

Now that the first season of The Legend of Korra is over, I think we can safely judge which series you like better -- the adventures of Aang, or the adventures of Korra. Why?

My vote goes to Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I loved Aang's adventures. The whole premise of the series was planned out and the pacing was absolutely great. The romance was kept to a minimum, which it should've, considered that our main character was only twelve and the rest were around that age, too. The action was amazing and I loved seeing Aang in Avatar State. He was strong and loyal and definitely intelligent.

While Korra are these things and I love the whole idea of having a female strong figure as the Avatar, I felt that the series focuses way more on romance than it should. Because of this, I've come to like The Legend of Korra not as much. If it focused more on the adventure aspect and less on the romance, then I probably would've liked it more. And then I feel that the bridge between the stories is a little too smooth; in ATLA, if I skipped one episode, I'd wonder what I'd missed exactly. In TLOK, when I miss one episode it seems that I can watch it in seemingly reverse order and still understand, except that it may hold spoilers.

Also, I'd like to say that I like -- that is an understatement, LOVE -- the original soundtrack for ATLA better than TLOK. Do you remember Aang's ending song? The creepy, cello? And then the fighting song? And then the song that the episode ended on when Katara and Aang kissed? These were all very perfect music pieces that make me shiver! It's amazing!

Best answer will go to the one person who's answer is honest and thoughtful!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

The Legend of Korra had a better setup to me (the bender vs non bender conflict). The villains could have been quite compelling and well developed. Also the romance between Korra and Mako was better for me than the romances in ATLA. Unfortunately, Korra did not live up to its potential in my eyes and therefore, I don't think its even close to ATLA.

1) The plot is rushed and there is not enough time to properly develop characters. Amon's backstory is squeezed into an expository chunk in the finale (you'd think a guard would have come to check on Tarlok in that time).

2) Miracles happen in the finale: Korra conveniently learns to airbend when Mako needs her to (even though we've seen no progress since episode 3). Aang's spirit somehow manages to give Korra bending back and instantly teaches her how to restore bending to others.

3) Its never explained how Amon could convert blood bending into taking bending away. If Tarlok could explain Amon's backstory, surely Amon could explain how he managed that.

4) Both Tarlok and Amon seem to repent for their sins (Tarlok says he's sorry) and Amon tells Tarlok he wants to start over with him like the 'good old days'. Are we supposed to feel sorry for them when they die?

5) Pro Bending comes off as a complete distraction from the series true plot. It either should have been eliminated or (if the series were actually given the time it needed), should have been the focus of the first season (I think the episode where Amon crashes the pro bending championship would have made a better season 1 finale).

As for ATLA, its far from perfect. However, it has three 20 episode seasons to tell its story. Korra only had 12 episodes. Zuko's backstory is revealed over the course of a few episodes instead explained in one chunk as an attempt to make us feel sorry for him. However, the villain (firelord Ozai) has a less compelling cause than Amon (at least until we found out he was just using the equalists to gain power).

The series finale was also a disappointment for me, but that's because to me the series had set my expectations too high (ironically I also thought that this finale should have been longer by at least two episodes to develop its plot more). There was also the little deus ex machina at the end that allowed Aang to escape his moral dilema, thus rendering the wisdom the Avatars had given him nigh useless.

I also believed that if the were going for Katara/Aang, then Katara should have been with Aang when he fought the firelord and not with Zuko fighting Azula. The series did not do a good job making the firebenders seem all powerful with the comet's influence (only the guys who were supposed to kick butt did so, the others just seemed normal). I could go on, but basically, the bulk of my complaints about ATLA are with the series finale, while the complaints with Korra are for the series as a whole.

For all its imperfections, ATLA does a much better job using what its has set up to tell its story. It has more time to tell its story (thought Korra will have a second season that will hopefully redeem the disappointing first). Its (main) characters are more complex by the end, while Korra's characters seem flat and dull.

Source(s): Watched both series fully.

I do agree with you for the most part, though I am a huge sucker for romance. I like how there is more than in Avatar The Last Airbender. I also LOVE how Korra is so strong, and enjoys being independent, though she's still training and learning to be the Avatar. I have to say I do enjoy the first Avatar series better though, because it had a lot more character development, like with Zuko, and I feel like this series has a lot less of that. They do for Korra, but I feel it's lacking for the other characters. I also liked the plotline in the last one because it seemed more put together and planned, though I enjoy the equality battle in Korra as in that world I can see it being a huge issue. Altogether though I would have to say that although Korra is a wonderful addition, Aangs story was far better and more interesting. :)

Source(s): Myself :D
  • Ichigo

I agree with everything you said. I think korra comes very close to being just as good as ATLA because TLOK has many of the same factors that make the avatar series so unique! while I do miss the setting of ATLA I do like what the creators did with the future setting of republic city. I really love both but I think ATLA is a bit better :D

My personal opinion is that the Legend of Korra is better, mostly because I like the idea of nonbenders vs. benders more than firebenders vs. everyone else. LoK does have more romance in it, but they are older so it does make more sense. The one thing I did not like about the romance is how Mako and Asami ended up splitting; it seemed so short. LoK also did go slower because Korra knew who she was and already mastered 3 elements. Aang had to adjust to the world and master 3 elements. Plus it's just really cool when references to the original are made during LoK, which wasn't possible for the original since it was the original. Both shows were amazing though, and I can't wait for the next season of LoK.

• Akira

Though I'm not sure you can say which is better just by the first season because both first seasons were pretty slow and boring-ish. But I still definitely vote for the last airbender. It was amazing and I love the characters more. Aang in my opinion was a better avatar. Toph was a badass. Sokka was way funnier than Bolin. Appa and Momo were just too cute. THe music was indeed fantastical. And I really liked Zuko as the villain and I also liked crazy Azula. And the grandpa Iroh who couldn't love him? I will miss the original characters soooo much.

I liked both but I have to agreed ATLA is better by far. Aang being a peace monk child force to make a decision to kill Ozai but choose to take his bending. While korra is a head strong girl learned all the elements, when to republic city to learn airbendin. You know what I mean. But in ATLA you can see his struggle, decision he had to make, while korra won b/c of her airbendin and he just ran off. But in TLOK you can see more bending vs non benders...Either way ATLA IS BETTER

Source(s): My head

I definitely think the last air bender was much better than the legend of korra. I totally agree with you when you talk about the life lessons. i feel like in the last air bender the viewers could actually take something with them after watching the show. it was just a cartoon, yea but one that had meaning behind certain characters and that was able to get in our minds and teach us a little bit about life and possibly even have us compare our lives and actions to some of the characters in it (i know lots of ands). Especially with Zuko's characterization in which he had an on going battle within himself that he eventually overcame. He found his way towards what was good with the help of Uncle Iroh who also provided viewers with life lessons, was a really wise character and a perfect example of what im talking about. To me he was kind of like a guru to some sort because he helped his nephew come out of the dark and into the light. He also provided humor for the viewers and was a great master of fire bending. i mean lets face it, he was a total beast, especially when he broke out of prison.

oh, that's another thing. i feel like the bending/action in the legend of korra sucks compared to the bending in the last air bender. I feel like the benders in the legend of korra would get totally swept if they had to face the benders in the last air bender (masters, supporting characters and team avatar included).Also whats up with Tenzin? that guy is suppose to be a master of air bending. But he seems so weak especially when compared to the masters in the last air bender (Uncle Iroh, Master pakoo, Bumi etc). i feel like he should be a lot better than what he is after all he is Aang's son.

Also i would like to mention about where the story takes place. Well to start off i'll say that i liked how the last air bender took place in the past before cars and the advanced technology we have today were invented. It was more relaxed and country like. it made me feel like i was experiencing a little bit of life before cities and skyscrapers were invented. Now that the legend of korra takes place in a city, it was a thing i disliked when i first heard about it. Maybe its just because i live in new york, i like the country, or just because the lastair benderr was a show that was different from other shows in which the setting wasn't so close to the present.Idk. However it is created by the same guys so i suppose certain characteristics of the lastair benderr would be impregnated into the legend of korra.

Source(s): i actually asked a question with the same response i gave you here. just didn't want to type it all again, but it is the way i feel about both shows. Let me know what you think:):):) Source: Fan

i loved the last episode of the season of TLOK. everything i could have wanted. but i like ATLA better because it was longer and just SO exciting to see. i wasnt ready in the beginning to see a new avatar (i take it too seriously) but i learned to love TLOK. they do need more action tho and i heard it only has 2 seasons. i also missed an episode. i also liked ATLA because you could always watch a missed episode but its been so long and i cant see it. i also want to see the last episode too

A:TLA without a doubt. Korra is a great watch, but just doesn't live up to its original. The way they present that characters is so much deeper in A:TLA, and I like that through each little adventure you got to learn more about them. Things moved a little too fast in Korra, honestly. I don't know them as much as I'd like.

If you intend to know how to pull a realistic nose such as a Skilled then Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery eBook from here https://tr.im/ZD0ox will begin to illustrates essential reasons for having nose before you begin to draw it such as an expert.

With Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery you will learn solution way of bring nostrils and minor tourist attractions that make your nose pulling appear realistic.

Christopher Sia, the author of this amazing manual adopts explaining every thing and no different portrait drawing course is that elaborate.  Christopher moves above and beyond a number of other programs on portrait drawing with comprehensive recommendations, good quality pictures and great bonuses.