X

Does the Bible (Revelations in particular) have a propensity to cause and exacerbate mental illness?

For those who are predisposed to mental illness?

Like the Revelations, 666, anti-christ, second coming, Armageddon, etc.

Do you believe this stuff can make people mad?

What's the big deal about the s. It's not like that is important. I have actually read that book of the bible many times.

Favorite Answer

i think the reverse is true, if you are mad you are more likely to believe this stuff

Yes.

Two things in particular, religious abuse and religious addiction.

I know when I was brought up, I was taught some pretty severe things.

Such as everyone for sure going to hell including the majority of Christians, and that while "faith without works" is how salvation happens, if you sinned, were you really sure that you were going to heaven and not hell? And hell was taught a lot and described a lot in my church and at my home.

Then there was eschatology involving the book of revalation.

I was taught post tribulation rapture meaning that there would be hellish persecution for Christians on this earth right before Jesus came back. The book of revelation was thought of for the most part as literally true. I remember my mother freaking out when I was a child and crying because she feared the day that the mark of the beast would be instituted and she would have to choose between feeding us, her children, or losing her soul and taking the mark so she could "buy or sell".

My mother had anxiety and panic attacks specifically due to this issue.

So I think that is a big yes to your question.

Martin Luther once questioned whether or not Revelation should be in the bible. I for one wish it had not been.

• Wundt

20 years ago, Dungeons and Dragons started getting a bad reputation when a kid with schizophrenia committed suicide after playing the game. Anti-gaming advocates tried to make a case that the game had driven him, and others to break with reality. It was shown to be not true, and that gaming was beneficial because it was a social activity. However, SOME individuals who had personality problems were drawn to the game.

I think the Bible, and Revelations, are like that. Most people read those sections, and perhaps they believe them, but don't really do much about it. But a few take it way too seriously, and those are the one's we see on street corners with signs. It isn't the Bible that makes them crazy, as crazy people they are drawn to certain, extreme things.

Suicide, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (rejecting salvation through Christ Jesus), worship of the antichrist (pale gay flying Jew with red eyes, who moves like superman and makes fire come down from the sky), receiving mark of the beast (666 tattoo by lasers), and going into UFO ship to be healed (aliens=demons=ghosts) lead to hell. When people stretch hands to receive small grey plastic world passport or similar document, 666 tattoo is given by lasers on wrist area or forehead. Food stores will be set up to laser people. Police will laser people on highways. RFID chips, electronic tattoos, and other electronic documents are used to track people to laser them.

• The mental illness it brings to mind is schizophrenia... which I think has other causes than what people believe. I think that instead schizophrenics are drawn to such texts and theories.

Revelation was written by a insane hermit and Christians base their lives on his ramblings. I don't think it exacerbates mental illness, but it certainly doesn't help anyone think clearly!

Did you know that it is not actually Revelations but Revelation?

Do some study.

Based on the evidence I have seen put forth by fundamentalists, the bible kills brain cells.

No. If it wasn't the Bible it would be Spongebob Square Pants or anything else.

Yes, people babble on about all sorts of things that don't make sense.

• YES...

Eye Read It Through And THROUGH...

Coco Loco Now...

See What Eye Did To The Statue...