Does anybody else have a weird last name?

I'm not going to tell you my last name cause I don't trust anyone. For the last couple of months I have trying to figure out were my last name comes from. I am of spanish decent but always suspected my family came from somewhere else. I found out my last name means carpenter portefuese. I also found out i'm not the only with this last name and trying to figure out were the **** we came from. So does anyone else have a weird last name

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

http://familytimeline.webs.com/originsofsurnames.h...

This gives you information about surnames............... surname is only weird if you are not around others who have the same type of last names and that is down to influences from different countries............

Also a surname does NOT tell you where your ancestors came from and 'suspecting' where your ancestors are from is guess work...based on what? A surname...forget it, there are NO short cuts to genealogy research...........Genealogy is not about guess work it is about research.

...........I am surprised you seem to think you are the only one with what you use as a surname....surnames are not unique, unless they are made up very recently...ie the last 20 years, in which case it could then be unique.............. you will find or re likely to find thousands of families who use the same surname as you............................

...........................and no my surname is not weird, it is just my surname.....................

I've had teachers with final names and academics with names like Anderson and Smith. I've additionally known doctors with bizarre final names, like Dr. Horanzy, and many others. So i suppose I have no idea what you are getting at. It's not like every person with "weird" last names decide to be teachers and not anything else, and it's now not like several lecturers have weird last names.