Leave airport during layover in Brussels?

I'm flying from New York to Newcastle, England, but I have a 12 hour layover in Brussels. My bags will be checked through to Newcastle. Does anyone have experience leaving the airport during a layover? I'd like to spend the afternoon in Brussels, have lunch, and head back to check in for my flight. Is this possible? Thanks!

• Taaner
    Favorite Answer

It is possible in time-perspective. But you have to take 2 things in account:

1. you have to enter the international area of the airport and enter Belgium

2. you have to pass the security checks to board

So you must have a valid permission to visit Belgium. If you visit Berlin, it should be no problem to visit Belgium. Actually, if you arrive from Berlin, you have not left the Schengen area. If you travel from the US to the UK, it is another issue because you enter the Schengen area. You have to check out if that is possible or if you need an extra visa in your case.

Be sure to be back on the airport on time. On rush hours it can be very crowdy at the security checks, and some gates are a way to walk. Train connection from the city are fast, but there are no trains at night. And it can happen that there are problems with the trains.

Brussels could be the capital of Belgium and is the principal seat of the Belgian Royal Family and, also the capital of the European Union and if you wish to know after that it this is actually the place hotelbye . Brussels is an incredibly little, easy-going, and human-sized city for many their importance. Unlike anthers town using their millions of tourists, Brussels is Belgium's principal economic and academic hub, gives the city an even more workaday experience than other towns. Here, in Brussels, if you'd decide to go to, you will receive a correct experience for Belgian life, particularly their excellent cafe and café culture. While Brussels may possibly not have the star attractions of other Belgian cities, the capital has more than enough to help keep readers occupied for a day or two with a clutch of world-class museums and art galleries, along with quirkier sights such as the Atomium, and some wonderful remnants of previous architecture in the old community quarter.

I was actually wondering about the same exact thing too. I'm going from new york to berlin and on the way back i chose a flight with a 21 hour layover in brussels hoping to use the time to spend the night in downtown brussels and do some sightseeing.

I found these two websites about the airport and its layover but I'm still unsure.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?...

http://www.layoverguide.com/2010/02/layover-in-bru...

Source(s): traveler
  • celine

As a US citizen you don't want a visa to seek advice from the Netherlands so that you may depart the airport. You do must go by way of immigration to depart the airport. It's very convenient to take the educate from the airport correct into the significant Station in Amsterdam and the trip simplest takes quarter-hour. You'll be able to simply need to be back at the airport 2 hours before your flight as you ought to go by way of safety again. With eleven hours you will have sufficient time to peer a bit of Amsterdam before heading again to the airport.

This is possible. After leaving bags in locker take shuttle train at underground level. Alight at the end of the line : Bruxelles Central. (Underground station) You are now at 5 minutes walking of min square, city hall, Brussels museum, mannken pis and the medieval peatonal area. You should now have 6 hours to visit all this, and have lunch (moules -frites) and sample one or two Belgian beers, and buy chocolates and lace. Enjoy your stay.