Was I wrong for asking my brother's girlfriend this question?

We watch my brother's 2 and 8 year old kid's. I picked them up last Friday and the 2 year old has a nasty bruise on her back. I called her mother up and asked about it, very nicely and not in an accusatorial manner. She smarted off at me, blew the whole thing out of proportion, my brother called me up and... show more We watch my brother's 2 and 8 year old kid's. I picked them up last Friday and the 2 year old has a nasty bruise on her back. I called her mother up and asked about it, very nicely and not in an accusatorial manner. She smarted off at me, blew the whole thing out of proportion, my brother called me up and sent a hateful text message to me because his girlfriend, made it sound like, I was accusing them of child abuse.

Now keep in my mind, we are good to these kids, we pick the 8 year old up from school, during the school year and on my way home from work, I pick the 2 year old up at their house, we feed them real good and everything,I mean, my brother and his girlfriend have it made, we don't charge them a penny for anything, (they don't even offer to pay) these kids are in good hands with us and everybody knows it.I have'nt seen the kids since last Friday, I guess they don't want us watching them anymore, well, that's fine, i'm not kissing their butts about anything, I asked a simple question and they reacted so foolishly. I feel like that's their loss, these days, where can you find people, that will pick your kids up from school, from your house, feed them, keep them however long you need them to be kept and just genuinely, all around care and love them, as if they are your own, at absolutely no cost! They are hurting themselves, I love my niece and nephew, but I will not take back a simple question, that got us to this point, now they don't bring them around anymore, absolutely mind boggling to me, they are crazy, to mess up such good babysitting arrangements. My husband and I are going to stand our ground, we will not apologize for caring! We love those kids and deep down inside, I feel like they take advantage of us, they don't offer us gas money, for picking the kids up, they don't send snacks or anything for the kids, I mean, they don't send stuff, that the average parent's, would send, but because we love them so much, it does'nt matter and they know this! I don't understand why this is'nt bothering them about the kids babysitting arrangements!

Sorry for not breaking the second paragraph up, i'm just so upset and typing away.Oh by the way, those kids are just as crazy about us, as we are them. The 2 year old says "Nay Nay is here"
, so excitedly,when she see's me, Nay is what my family call me! This is killing me and tears are flowing as I type this.