Will an SSD speed up my computer?

So I want to build a computer and someone told me that I should get an SSD for it because it would really speed up my computer. Is that true? Is it worth the money or should I use that money on something better?

Favorite Answer

An SSD is an extremely fast hard drive. If all your other components are top of the line, then yes, you will have an extremely fast computer. But that money can probably be better spend on a graphics card or processor, so unless your going for something extremely fast and expensive, You'd be better off with an HDD, which has much more capacity. It all depends on the amount of money you want to put into your computer, but i wouldn't recommend going with an SSD if that means buying a less powerful processor, or graphics card if you're a gamer.

You can get a 120 gig SSD as the boot drive for $100-$150.

While you are computing/surfing, the programs are doing things through the operating system behind the scenes. All of these operations speed up with a SSD drive. Your history, bookmarks, caching of images during web surfing - all get faster.

Because of flooding in Thailand, traditional HDD drives above 1TB are expensive and somewhat scarce. So you may want to limit yourself to a 1Tb hard drive.

Right now - memory is cheap so my new desktop is coming with 16 gb. (Operating systems LOVE lots of memory). You might want to consider extra memory right now.

Some other things to look for:

Motherboard with SATA-6.0gb which is a interface twice as fast as the current 3.0 gb

Motherboard with USB3 as well as USB2.

Hope this helps.

SSDs are 80 cent to a dollar per GB. You only need 80-120GB for your OS and apps. This is cheap, everyone can afford it, and it's worth it. Most games will not benefit from an SSD, so they can be installed on the larger secondary hdd.

Once you try an SSD, you won't be able to go back.

Yes, it will. But They are expensive. I would get an Intel Z77 chipset motherboard, and use the built-in Intel Smart Response to combine a 1 TB hard drive and a 120 GB SSD, creating a much faster drive than just the Hard drive itself, while still being able to save lots of files.

I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. The best PC cleaner and antivirus program is PC Health Boost, it's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate.

It's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Download it here for free: http://www.pchealthboost.link

• a6kl2

It would only affect boot time and the time it takes to launch large applications. Once something has loaded, the SSD will have no effect on how fast/smoothly it runs.

• Otter

Yes SSD's increase boot time, apps are instant, they don't have moving parts, they will last 10 years or more and I own 3.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Experience.