Are you qualified to be a nuclear reactor operator (civilian) if you are a Navy "Nuke" electronics technician?

I'm interested in joining the Navy and becoming a nuclear-trained Electronics Technician (ET). You know, operating the reactor on an aircraft carrier. For my actual career, I want to be a nuclear reactor operator, so you can see how the two coincide.

My question: If I do end up becoming a Navy Nuke ET, will I be qualified as a civilian nuclear reactor operator (at a nuclear power plant) WITHOUT any further college education?

Favorite Answer

I suggest you go take a look on nukeworker.com and you will see for yourself that there are plenty of people making in excess of $100K in operations without a degree and also that there are plenty of jobs. You have to wonder about the motivation of people with a sour grapes attitude who are one here all day, every day doing nothing but answer Yahoo questions and all they do with their time is answer questions. Makes you if they washed out of the Navy nuclear program like about half of them do and are badmouthing it. If you are serious you want to qualify for Engineering Watch Supervisor (EWS) or preferably even Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW).

Here is a day one entry level job in the civilian world that was just posted that is $60K a year for a 6 year Navy guy with no degree and that is based on straight hours without counting overtime or bonus.

http://jobsearch.entergy.com/virtual-usa/operator-...

That is without even being qualified as RO or licensed as a SRO and without having an engineering degree.

You can be a nuclear power operator trainee

Nuclear power trainees, do not actually have to have any college, although most companies require at least an associate degree in electronics or the equivalent

2. You will not be hired as a fully qualified operator, but as a trainee and go though the training program

3. The big issue, is actually getting the trainee job

there are far more nuclear power navy techs leaving the navy each year, than there are jobs at nuclear power plants

IE: there are a fixed number of nuclear power plants and nuclear power operators in the US

and being a good job, people tend to stay once hired

so there are very few openings every year

Ive seen TVA go several years without hiring any new trainees

4. Note: you see people in here try and tell people they will make $100,000+ per year as a nuc operator

well thats just pure BS

The top out wage for a Journeyman nuc power operator is around $55,000 a year

Heck, nuclear engineers are only making $60,000 a year and thats for experienced engineers

• soo

I simplest lately discovered of the earthquake threat which is excessive for that whole vicinity,but of bigger obstacle is the pervasive mood with the jewish populace of Palestine that any "chance" - any indication of a significant possibility of restructuring the federal government faraway from the zionist idea - will have to be considered because the identical of "annihilation" and replied to by means of blowing off enough nuclear bombs and missiles to smash the surroundings and end lifestyles on this planet. It is a fashioned proposal - what is called "the Sampson option" and is even celebrated in jewish widespread track. It is very so much a major present of their thought patterns. While you keep in mind how fanatical zionism is via definition and juxtapose that with the fact they they possess the sector's sixth largest depository of nuclear weapons - freed from inspection or global controls,because of U.S. Safety within the U.N. - and now we have no longer best a recipe for catastrophe but potentially the extinction of all existence. Their arsenal will have to be seized and disbanded with out further ado. I recall the popularity quo to represent an incredibly hazardous predicament.