Why doesn't America install a "fat tax"?

The country can use the money to help offset the deficit and obesity is "taxing" our health care system. There are now over 43 million Americans w/o health insurance and this figure rises everyday. Hospitals pass the cost to treat the uninsured (that can't afford to pay) on to taxpayers. So, why... show more The country can use the money to help offset the deficit and obesity is "taxing" our health care system.
There are now over 43 million Americans w/o health insurance and this figure rises everyday. Hospitals pass the cost to treat the uninsured (that can't afford to pay) on to taxpayers.
So, why doesn't gov attempt to alleviate the problem by discouraging obesity w/ a fat tax?
Update: Folks- Gov has already crossed the line w/ discriminatory taxation (alcohol/tobacco). A fat tax is merely an extention.
Update 2: adeline- This is the first time I asked the question. My inquisitive nature doesn't revolve around the amount of times you've seen something posted. No one is twisting your arm to answer. No need to sound so disgusted.
I've already posted how gov enforces discriminatory taxes.
Update 3: 99%- Thank you for the submission that verifies my concern. Now that the measure is installed, why doesn't gov step up the ways to discourage obesity through more taxation? I quit smoking because the taxes increased beyond what I thought the value of the product was worth. Why should obese people be sheltered... show more 99%- Thank you for the submission that verifies my concern. Now that the measure is installed, why doesn't gov step up the ways to discourage obesity through more taxation? I quit smoking because the taxes increased beyond what I thought the value of the product was worth. Why should obese people be sheltered f/ the same discriminatory approach that taxed me away f/ what is unhealthy but was once considered my pleasure?
Update 4: jonds- That's REALLY stepping it up and it's an interesting assertion. Identify "overweight" and tax them according to how much overweight they are. I'm not saying I agree w/ that but it illustrates how far the taxation code can get. Folks, it's not discrimination when viewed that all of... show more jonds- That's REALLY stepping it up and it's an interesting assertion. Identify "overweight" and tax them according to how much overweight they are. I'm not saying I agree w/ that but it illustrates how far the taxation code can get.
Folks, it's not discrimination when viewed that all of us would be subject to the same taxation laws.
Update 5: Folks- Here's an item that I submit has relevance. Maybe if the reps weren't so far removed f/ the necessity of affordable health care, the fat tax would be less positioned to be considered.
Update 6: Obama used the cooperation he had in Congress to forge ahead w/ a plan to address affordable health care ... a plan the reps staunchly oppose but submit no viable option. GWB ignored the problem for 8 yrs.
Update 7: Is it just me or does any one else suspect the amount of objection to this suggestion is directly proportionate to the amount they are overweight?
Update 8: It sure didn't matter to the non smokers when gov was jacking up the prices w/ taxes on the smokers. In fact, I detected a hue of exhilaration f/ them as the smokers were banned f/ common company and resigned to indulge in isolation. Smoking tobacco is an appetite suppressant. No wonder obesity is on the... show more It sure didn't matter to the non smokers when gov was jacking up the prices w/ taxes on the smokers. In fact, I detected a hue of exhilaration f/ them as the smokers were banned f/ common company and resigned to indulge in isolation.
Smoking tobacco is an appetite suppressant. No wonder obesity is on the accelerated rise. In some cases, we just exchanged one hospital ward for another as it relates to the type of illness.
If you try to diminish the seriousness of America's obesity, then I submit you contribute to the problem.
If you're too fat, you're a detriment to not only your self, but society.
Update 9: I understand there are exceptions ... doctors orders/no exercise. But most fat people are too lazy. They should be targeted.
Update 10: *obese people are too lazy w/ poor eating habits
Update 11: janey- The deficit is so far out of control I submit it will take a concerted effort that will be inclusive of raising existing taxes, creating new ones and reducing gov spending.
Update 12: Somebody messaged me to report the last time their local gov raised tobacco tax it lost money because the sales declined substantially. That's evidence how taxation abates a problem f/ unhealthy, indulging Americans. The obesity problem is escalating ... it's not going away by ignoring it. Americans have... show more Somebody messaged me to report the last time their local gov raised tobacco tax it lost money because the sales declined substantially. That's evidence how taxation abates a problem f/ unhealthy, indulging Americans. The obesity problem is escalating ... it's not going away by ignoring it. Americans have had many yrs. to willingly make the necessary adjustments. Apparently they won't understand until it hits them in the pocket.
Update 13: The program I watched that discussed this problem said obesity is costing taxpayers billions and it's getting worse because Americans are getting fatter while fewer have health insurance. Not only does gov have the power to levy taxes as a means to address the burden on the taxpayers, it has a duty to do so.