Good laptop for someone with kids?

My mom wants to get a laptop. I tried to convince her to get a desktop, but she insisted on the laptop. I have a 6 year old brother, I want to keep it PC because it would be hard for him to learn both PC (which is at school) and Mac at this time. So, I'm looking for a sturdy laptop that can handle 6 year old accidents, and computer-retarded moms. I dont want her to get a Dell or HP, due to all of the bad experiences I and my friends have had with them. Im hoping for something to last her a long time, and is under 1000, preferably under 700. It doesnt have to be super fancy, super awesome, she can hardly handle a computer. Just something to run some kid games and internet and a few programs. At least 500 gb harddrive and 4 gb RAM. Im not sure where to really start looking, I have a gateway NV, which I love and would suggest to them, but it seems like Gateway is getting away from computers now. Any suggestions or helpful guidelines?

• Devon
    Favorite Answer

I would highly recommend a refurbished Mac. They're extremely durable and very easy to use. It's also very easy to install Windows on a Mac for your brother. Here's a video describing how it's done: http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#windowsmac Mac OS X is a very easy operating system to use for your mom. Also, the customer service offered by Apple is very good.

Here's a link to a refurbished Macbook Pro with a 500 GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM for $929: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD313LL/A

The best thing you can do is get into an Apple store and get your hands on these machines, even before you make the decision: mac or pc. In my experience, the people working at Apple are very helpful in getting you the right computer for your needs. They won't have a refurbished model in the store, but they're almost identical (the only difference is a faster processor and better graphics).

By the way, I'm not "against" PC. If you decide to go with PC, for whatever reason, I'd suggest looking at Acer. Before I switched to Mac, I had an Acer and thought it was pretty good. But I do like my Mac much better. It's also rated one of the top PC computer companies. The Acer Aspire TimelineX series would suit your needs best: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/aspire-...

Hope this helps!

I really do not feel porn is as so much of an challenge as some mom and dad make it out to be. A concern that's sincerely hazardous is youngsters posting private know-how on fb. It is mighty how fast any one you don't know can keep your picture or a display shot of your understanding to their possess computer. It is much more potent how little know-how any person desires to find you. A image and a college title is all they fairly have got to kidnap a younger youngster. You do not look to be any individual who would get in most important hindrance on-line. The article about porn is that it's illegal to view it in case you are beneath the age of majority the place you live. Also, there are what are called "trojans" which monitor everything you submit online. They are able to take hold of financial institution info, bank card numbers, names, addresses, and some thing else you place right into a website to login or make a purchase order from. I do not know any 13 yr olds which can be informed ample in regards to the web and the entire distinct points of it to have a computer in their room. It is a hazard to any person within the condo to no longer understand what you're posting and the place, regardless of your age.

• RAK

Below is a link for a review for a PC that might work for both kids and adults.