Is it worth it to get a credit card?

I'm 21 and trying to get myself financially secure. I've got a new bank with new checking and two savings accounts. I''ve been working out a budget and plan for saving money. I've been reading Suze Orman's book Women and Money and I'm trying to do her 5 month plan in the book. So far... show more I'm 21 and trying to get myself financially secure. I've got a new bank with new checking and two savings accounts. I''ve been working out a budget and plan for saving money. I've been reading Suze Orman's book Women and Money and I'm trying to do her 5 month plan in the book. So far I'm doing good but in the 2nd month she suggests that I get a credit card in my own name.

I've never had a credit card before and just thinking about them makes my stomach tie up in a knot. My mom is currently in a lot of credit card debt which has totally soured me on the idea. Although I'm learning to be responsible with my spending, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of having a credit card. I know it's a good and fast way of establishing credit but won't you do that anyways if you pay your bills on time? Which I do by the way.

So should I apply for a credit card or go with my gut and stay away from them?