matt
Lv 5
matt asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 8 years ago

If the .45 ACP was replaced by 9mm due to higher abundance internationally then why hasn't....?

The 5.56 NATO been replaced by 7.62x39mm?

Update:

Miamimen, nobody cares about your hoplophobia. If you're afraid of weapons then don't respond to a military related question.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Mark F
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because that is not true. 9x19mm was adopted because it is standardized within NATO not due to "higher abundance internationally." 7.62x39 was standard with NATO's arch enemy the Warsaw Pact so it would be rather stupid to standardize on that round don't you think? 7.62x39 was also in the process in the 1980's of being replaced by 5.45x39.

• Noah
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The .45 ACP Colt inventory was just about totally worn out. It was either restart the program with Colt, or some other .45 pistol. It was decided that a double action pistol was better than the single action .45 Colt and the magazine capacity of the .45 Colt at seven rounds was inferior to the Beretta's 15 round capacity. Also 9mm ammunition is 'cheaper' per round....a definite consideration. Carrying additional .45 ammunition added more weight to a soldiers weight investment than twice as much 9mm ammunition...another consideration. On the other hand a 9mm has limits that make it greatly inferior to the .45 ACP round. Current thinking is that it might be an advantage to return to the .45 ACP because of its proven ability to stop an enemy, while the jury is still out on the 9mm in those 'right now' only one survivor situations. I have several .45 ACP Colt 1911A1s and a 1917 Colt ACP WW1 revolver. I have one 9mm German P-38 pistol. So my vote is .45 yes....9mm...not so much!

Countries invested in the 5.56 NATO or the Russian 7.62x39mm are 'invested'...the expense of going to some other round is the stopper...it's as simple and as complex as that!

• 8 years ago

The 45 was replaced with the 9mm, because the 9mm was the standard Nato pistol round

Just as the 5.56 is the standard Nato rifle round

The 7.62 was the standard nato heavy machine gun round

2. the reason the US went to the 5.56 from the 7.62 ( 308 winchester ) when the m16 replaced the m14

was because the basic combat load of ammunition was doubled by going to the 5.56 and the reduced weight of the weapon

• 8 years ago

It was changed because it was unique in the inventory after the M3 went away.

The 5.56 round is used by several different weapons and nations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

That wasn't the reason the .45 was replaced by the 9mm.

• 8 years ago

Can't carry near as many 7.62.

Your logic doesn't float.

• 8 years ago

People like you (always talking about weapons) are legal murderers .

I respect a man only if he can knock me down with his fist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.