New Macbook Pro: SSD vs HDD?

I'm not completely tech savvy when it comes to computer hardware so I figured I'd ask. I'm ordering a new Macbook Pro here soon and I'm going back and forth on whether or not to get an SSD vs HDD.

I've never had a SSD before so I'm not very familiar with them, but I've heard good things. I guess my question is whether or not it's worth an additional $90 to upgrade from a 750gb HDD to a 128gb SSD.

I have a 500gb external HDD too so I'm not sure space will be an issue, I just don't know much about an SSD to know if it's worth sacrifice space/money. I also thought about just getting a faster processor, but wasn't sure if that was more feasible either.

Any advice/info would be great. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

SSD's (Solid State Disks) use less power, are much faster, have less capacity, & are more expensive than their HDD counterparts. In the example you gave above (upgrading a 750GB HDD to a 128GB SSD) you're paying $90 more for only 17% of the storage capacity). I think that 128GB of storage isn't realistic for a laptop anyway & I wouldn't want to cart around an external drive all the time.

If you do decide to go w/an SSD, figure out how much space the Mac OS-X operating system & all the applications you want to run take, then leave some space for growth & your data. You're probably going to want to get at least a 256GB SDD.

I think you're better off getting the HDD & putting any extra money into either more RAM, a faster cpu, or better graphics. Most PC applications are not bottlenecked by disk IO (unless you're running large database applications). Modern OS'es cache disk read/writes so the only performance improvement you'll see is in the initial boot up time.

A HDD has moving parts thus it is slower.The SSD however does not have any moving parts so it is quicker.The SSD drive will be capable of booting up way faster than the HDD.It will also be able to open programs and files way faster.Since you aleady have an external HDD i would say go for the SSD. :)

• Audrey

What you need to upgrade is the crapbook toy you have.