Asim asked in HealthMental Health · 8 years ago

what will happen if you dont sleep for more then 24 hours?

Favorite Answer

Nothing will happen. I have stayed awake for 3-4 days straight, after 24 there is no difference, after 48 your cognitive function begins to decline after 72 that's when my thoughts start to get even more jumbled and random and you start to do things more slowly and you can make the clear distinction that your cognitive function is relatively impaired.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • Summer

i have been mistaken for being hypomanic when i have missed one or two nights sleep. even now if i don't sleep because of my chronic pain i develop hypomanic symptoms. i can hear what comes out my mouth and i know it's inappropriate and that i sound "crazy". i feel very revved up and my emotions are amplified but i hate the feeling now because i know it leads no where good. i spent 7 years being treated for bipolar i don't actually have and i had several manic and hypomanic type episodes a year. i would even get sectioned. i now know when i am 'going that way' and increase my seroquel and diazepam and go to bed and avoid being over stimulated.

my question is, does everyone else get this reaction to losing one or two night's sleep or is it just the BPD? i never want to have an episode of euphoria again. i self manage my mental health and i am much more content being a boring suburban parent than the person i used to be. A x

• Ryan

It can start killing body cells and and brain cells. I think it also causes you to gain weight because while your asleep your body repairs itself and removes some of the bad stuff. But if its your first times staying up or you dont do it every single night then just go to sleep and you'll be fine. sometimes when i dont sleep the sun makes me feel weird and crazy so i just go to sleep

you get tired but not much else happens

Source(s): been there done that

i experienced it several times before.

well, you get really really sleepy of course.