How long can you keep a cheque before it is void?

I received a cheque from a relative in a will, and I was wondering how long it is valid for. I wasn't going to put it in my bank as I would probably spend it! But a friend said they are only valid for a certain length of time. Thanks in advance.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • phooey
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless the cheque is endorsed otherwise then in the UK a cheque is valid for just six months.

Any amendment to this is usually written near the date, some cheques issued by companies have a shorter three month limit.

A personal cheque will be valid for 6 months from the date on the cheque

Source(s): 15 years working for a high street bank
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

It depends. The check itself may have some restriction printed on it such as "void after 1 year" or the bank against which it's drawn may have some unspoken policy that says you have to ca$h it in 6 months. Either way.. if you have a check.. the best thing to do is deposit it.

• cleora
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Now not certain of a law, but most likely, banks will honor a check inside 6 months of the date written on the determine. After that, they might require that the check writer disorders a different verify.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If you don't want to spend it, put it in a fixed term savings account which you can't touch for the agreed period - then you will earn a bit of interest on it as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

This is as per the rule prevailing in your country. You may ascertain fro any one of the banks nearby.Anyhow, if you keep for indefinite period, it will become stale and you cannot cash it.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

it should be written on the check. It should say something like "void after 180 days" or similar

• Dory
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

They are only valid for six months.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.