Are K&N Air Filters really worth it?

I was looking for a new air filter and was wondering if paying for the K&N Air Filter was worth it. Will it get better Gas Mileage, and better engine performance over a FRAM Air Filter??

Thanks!

Update:

Do the K&N Filter also offer the same protection?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

The only advantage I see to them is the reuse part. Some of the filters these days are pretty expensive and the KN versions usually are not much more money. For my truck a stock one is almost $30 and the KN was only $45 so after the first cleaning I was ahead. I think their quality is at least as good as a typical one.

The reason you dont gain any performance or mpg on a modern car is that the computers keep the optimum air fuel mix by using various sensors to measure and check everything going in and coming out. The only place you gain by having more air is if you are going for maximum power which most of us hardly (if ever) need from our cars. Even then just the air filter does not do anything for you. If you have more air available you need more fuel available which may require changes to the fuel side of the system and then the computer has to know what to do with the extra air and fuel. Just cruising down the highway you are maybe using 20-30% of the engines power so you are no where near the limits of how much air a factory filter can deliver.

• 8 years ago

There are at least half a dozen ways to consider your question. None of them will give you a drastic jump in fuel economy. #1. There are several name brands of air filters in the market that are better than Fram. NAPA and Car Quest oil and air filters are made by Wix. Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator.

Granted, a K&N filter will last one million miles IF it is washed and re-oiled every 50,000 miles. K&N filters do not filter small micron sizes of dirt as well as the above listed brands. Hold one up to a light bulb and you'll see why.

Source(s): Alignment, suspension and brake shop.
  • 8 years ago

Unless you have different cams, fuel injectors and a high output fuel pump you won't need a K&N set up. The stock air intakes on 2000 and newer vehicle are cold air intakes to begin with and the air filter is plenty good for the stock motor. The other down side to a K&N is that it takes 4 hours to clean one properly. If you rush the air drying step you will end up contaminating the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor is also a concern if too much oil goes on the filter and blows onto the sensitive hot wires in the MAF sensor. Save your money for gas!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

A K&N filter saves money(you can clean it instead of buying new filters) but as for better gas mileage and better engine performance, they say that so people will buy the filters.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

If the K&M air filters are so good, why the car companies do not put one on each car ? For a car company, performance is more important than just an increase of $40 dollars, when you are talking about tens of thousands for a new car. Competition between companies and company name is more important than $40 dollars.

• Matthew5 years agoReport

You are about 2 years too late to answer sir :)

• 4 years ago

I've used one on a 2003 Ranger 3.0, and the only advantage is the ability to clean and re-use. other than that, the engine control computer adjusts for optimal fuel economy. As for oil damaging or faulting the MAF sensor, it takes VERY LITTLE oil to re-charge the filter. So if you hear of it being a problem, they failed to follow the instructions and drenched the filter with oil thinking "more is better" (not)

• I bought an Xtreme Colorado and the Fram air filter was $11.99 for it. I bought a K&N for $50 and I don't change it every 6 months, so I saved money. It also has a lifetime warranty!

Source(s): I don't believe the 24 extra hp either!
  • 8 years ago

My advice to you is keep your car stock. I never cared for those K&N filters and never owned one.

That's just me.

• 8 years ago

nothing you will notice

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.