What exactly are the criteria for a building to be...?

... classified as a residential house in England?

I mean, does the building have to be of a minimum size?

Is there a minimum amount of rooms that are required? If so, what rooms must be present, or can everything be contained within one room?

I understand there must be water connected, but does this have to be connected to an outside water company, or can it be provided by the householders themselves by alternative methods (eg, from a river/rainfall) and does this supply of water have to be piped into the property or can it be carried in with a bucket?

Hot water: can this be made using a fire or solar heating? I really don't want to be connected to mains electricity due to unpredictable power cuts and because by connecting to mains electric for things like heating water, I am in effect saying it is ok for these companies to destroy our environment with nuclear power stations and such... which I am not ok with that...

A kitchen normally needs water and a method of cooking: is there anything else that is critical to the classification of a kitchen? And what sort of cooking device is needed? A conventional oven is not compatible with the method of building I am looking at producing, so do I need an oven, or just a hob? Will a solar oven suffice and is this cooking apparatus judged as being suitable depending on what sort of food it can cook (ie pizza, chicken, pies)?

Does the house have to have electricity? If so, can this be provided without using extortionate external electricity suppliers by the residents producing it themselves? If it is legal to produce it 100% themselves (which I know is possible to achieve, is there a minimum amount of kWh that is needed to comply to regualtions? I also want to avoid mains electric connection and usage due to the increased fire risks associated with connection, and by not being mains connected, there can be no electric shocks to anyone.

Toilet and waste water: I understand the must be internal, which is dumb, as I like going outside to the loo at night, but I will handle this issue and that of waste water separately.

I am trying to narrow down the exact necessities for a house, as I am researching then building a house for as cheap as possible as a way to increase social cohesion and learning within my community.

thank you for your thoughts and help in this matter :)

boy boy: are you so sad that you get your kicks from attempting to personally attack people who ask questions? Direct reference to your neurotic statement. I am reporting your post as offensive.

I ask this question, as within the current UK building regulations, not a single one of the issues I raised are covered, and are open to interpretation. The building regulations are due to change towards the end of this year, but the change does not mean that these questions will be answered, and as a result, individual planning control officers interpret the current laws how they want to view them. I am trying to clarify a murky subject, as I am using a CIC social enterprise business to teach about different low impact techniques... I am just trying to do the teaching (for council benefit as well as public) in a way that gives a usable product at the end.

Maybe you think that's neurotic boy boy, or maybe you suffer from little willy syndrome and feel the need to attack anyone who loo

looks beyond your narrow minded thinking?

Favorite Answer

all homes in uk must have planning permission ..and building regs ..you can go online and learn all the regs from the government site ...but you sound neurotic and may be living in a tent for some time .

I think you will have to check the laws and regulations for a specific area on what's allowed re house size, water supply, sewage disposal, etc. Obviously, there are going to be different requirements in a town than there will be in the country, and different rural areas are going to have different ideas about what's acceptable there.

There are ways to get hot water using means other than electricity. Gas, for one. Wood or coal-fired heaters can heat water as well as your house. I'll let you square it with your own conscience whether those are more or less destructive than other fuel sources. You are going to cut down and burn a lot of trees, over time, to get a useful amount of hot water. Solar water heating is possible if you're in a place that gets enough sun. The trouble with solar powered stuff in northern climates is that at the very time you want it most, in winter, the solar power just isn't there. No sunlight = no solar power.

There are ways to generate your own electricity. Water power, wind, solid fuel, gasoline/diesel. Probably not cheaper than buying it from a large supplier, not for some years in most cases. Certainly expensive to pay for the initial installation of the necessary equipment. I don't know what you mean about supplying your own being safer. If there is electricity in a building, regardless of its source, there is always the possibility of shocks from it or fires starting.

You can find out a lot about this kind of stuff by googling "off grid living".

i do not imagine they mean that you could't stay there 12 months round. Merged might want to aspect out that this become once extra tehn one lot, hence you may want to be able to sub-divide it. The season area likely skill agency. Seasonal agency of a few variety. you may want to be able to confirm the precise wording of the zone.