promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Sold computer without erasing hard drive, risks?

I sold my Toshiba laptop to some guy on Craigslist and he told me he would sell the computer for parts and erase the hard drive. The computer had a broken motherboard so it wouldn't start and I couldn't erase the hard drive unless I took it out and connected it to another computer. What risks am I taking with this transaction. I wish I thought of this earlier.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you want to completely erase a hard drive, it's not as easy as deleting everything on it. To truly erase hard drive data forever, you'll have to take some extra steps.When you format a hard drive you don't actually erase the hard drive of data, you only erase the location information for the data, making it "lost" to the operating system. Since the operating system can't see the data, the drive looks empty when you look at its contents.However, all the data is still there and, unless you truly erase the hard drive, can be recovered using special software or hardware.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • UID.0
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

The risks depends solely upon the data on the drive that remains recoverable and any devious minds that it may come in contact with.

Loss of passwords or Identity Theft are always at the top of the list here. Keep a very close eye on your credit accounts, billing accounts, money in general and set all advanced security settings on all sites. Also change ALL passwords now so that they are different from what was ever used on the old drive.

If there are personal files on there then privacy was just lost. If there were any illegal downloads or unauthorized torrents, etc on that computer then you risk being involved in a court case or jail time.

Not trying to scare you but you do need to plan for the worst and hope for the best. It is just life.

• terri
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The laptop repair save has to erase your difficult power earlier than commericlaly advertising it, but you should not ever depart that type of stuff in your hard pressure for those who supply it away. More commonly they make you signal a document which allows for them to scrap your pc and magnetically wipe your difficult pressure. Go back to the shop and discover what the policy on returning hard drives and wiping difficult drives is. Consistently examine this before you come to be giving them your computer. Also, verify with different individuals before you go to this situation and make certain that it has a just right reputation; should you tell them that your difficult force has your credit card numbes + essential contact know-how on it, then you will have to rather consider deleating the information earlier than you turn over your computer. Additionally, if they did not let you know "we're going to erase your hard force. Is that happy with you?," then there is a concern, considering that normally before a USED hard force is sold, the shop need to furnish documentation by using the previous proprietor of the unit that the tough force was once wiped below their consent. I only provide my desktops to authorized dealers and reliable outlets. If they're going to now not wipe your rough pressure, GET IT back in any respect charges – your private understanding is at stake right here. Hope this helps.

• Haha oh boy. if there was any credit card info or anything linked to your bank account then watch out. If you had passwords to accounts then you may get hacked but this is if the guy is a total *** whole and goes through your hard drive. The mobo does not matter

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Even though the motherboard isnt working... he can still tap into the hard drive and possibly recall any information (passwords, bank accounts, etc.) that was stored there with or without you knowing it. Its not that hard to do. Hope nothing goes wrong man!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

should have sold it to him without the hard drive. just take it out and 1 hard hit from a hammer is enough but a couple is certainly enough

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Of course its of risk you do have personal or sensetive infos that you don't wish to share.you should erese your hard disk to avoid any unwanted situation.

• Otter
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

If you have new credit card accounts ect pop up on your credit history you will know you been screwed, blued, and tatooed.

Source(s): Exp.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.