Recommended musical biographies/autobiographies - any genre?

Anyone care to recommend any books you've read on or by musical artists? My sister recently gave me a copy of "Across the Great Divide: The Band and America" by Barney Hoskyns which I find esp moving given the recent death of Levon. (YA recommended I ask this in the 'Books & Authors' category but I thought I might get better answers from my friends here :) Thanks so much!

• Martin
    Favorite Answer

There are many great bios/autobiographies, and even more horrid ones :)

You mentioned being a huge Dylan fan, so these might particularly interest you-

Backstage Passes: Rock 'n' Roll Life In The Sixties-Al Kooper (auto.)

Chronicles: Volume One-Dylan (auto.)

Positively 4th Street: The Lives and Times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina and Richard Farina-David Hajdu (bio.)

Death of A Rebel: A Biography of Phil Ochs -Michael Schumacher (bio.)

The Mayor of MacDougal Street-Dave Van Ronk/Elijah Wald (auto/bio)

(completed by Wald after Dave's death)

If you're looking for more, or don't care for these, let me know. I have several hundred music bios in my library, and have read most of them.

• ?

Hi Elizabeth!

Last few months, read quite a few!

Le Freak - Nile Rodgers. Chic man, great tales, insightful.

Had Me A Real Good Time - Andy Neil. About the Faces, a rip roaring read.

Rock And Roll Autobiography - Bobby Whitlock. Derek & Dominos keyboard player. Heartbreaking story, which turns up trumps in the end.

Soul Picnic - Michele Kort. Beauthiful biog about Laura Nyro!

That's just some of 'em.

Catch me on Myspace for other reviews: Antonio Apostrophe.

N.B. **

Author of Doors book: Danny Sugarman.

Source(s): Music lover, good luck!
  • Rg4

If you're interested in Levon and The Band, a must read is 'This Wheel's on Fire: Levon Helm and the Story of the Band' by Levon Helm with Stephen Davis (author of 'Hammer of the Gods).

Just click on the book in this link to read a preview..

http://www.amazon.ca/This-Wheels-Fire-Levon-Story/...

Right now I'm rereading 'Invisible Republic: Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes' by Greil Marcus. Highly recommended.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1...

• Alice

Pamela Des Barres' legendary I'm With The Band. It's the ultimate shameless tell-all book by a teenage groupie who couldn't wait to grow up.

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Band-Confessions-Pamela-B... Her follow-up book "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up" reads like a novel and is just as fun aside from the revelations that her only child was emotionally troubled. Pam is an irrepressable less anchored Lorelai Gilmore without a Rory. God love her.

searching for the sound by phil lesh - this is a great book full of stories about his life with the grateful dead. i liked it because it doesn't read like a book, but is written in a style much the same way if he was in front of you telling the story to you.

captain trips by sandy troy - this is a good biography about jerry garcia, and tells the story how watching his father drown at a young age affected him, as well as losing a finger on his right hand. a good read if you have the interest.

shakey by jimmy mcdonough - a good biography of neil young, not written in a watered down way. it gives the good and bad about the man.

No One Here Gets Out Alive

about the Doors

can't remember the author though

• David

"X-Ray - The Unauthorized Autobiography" by Ray Davies

"No Irish No Blacks No Dogs" by John Lydon (don't let the very tongue-in-cheek title put you off)

"Somebody to Love?: A Rock-and-Roll Memoir " by Grace Slick

• I Slept With Joey Ramone by Micky Leigh (his brother) This is one my favorite books ever.

You could read "i am ozzy" I heard that's pretty good

Source(s): I heard it from a friend who has a horrible gpa. So that could be the only books he's ever read