Best vacuum for hardwood floors and carpet?

I was hoping someone could recommend a good vacuum that works on hard wood floors and also works great for picking up things like cat litter and dog hair from carpets.

Please give me the model not just the brand and as long as it is under $1500. Do NOT say KIRBY because I had a bad experience with them and the Kirby sellers where I live just came to my house 3 days ago to try and sell me a vacuum and would NOT go under $2560.00 No way and I paying that much for a vacuum. That's more than my car cost.

Best Answer

I recommend a canister type with a beater brush. Works great on carpet and on hard floors, and the hoses are such that you can vacuum things that aren't floors, like furniture, and cobwebs off the ceiling. They are also more powerful and last longer than most uprights. They are also more expensive, but the way around that is to buy a high end one used from a vacuum sales/service place.

I will use my old Filter Queen as an example. It's probably about 30 years old now. I bought it in 1989 for $500. That was a lot of money back then, but it needed its first repair, a new motor, only last year. That cost $150, installed. There isn't much else to break on it. I have multiple pets. I vacuumed drywall dust with it when I built a house. I did not baby it, but I also didn't abuse it. I changed the filters as recommended. It works as well as it did the day I bought it. I have never even needed to change the belt on the beater brush.

A friend of mine recently bought a Filter Queen like mine, new motor already in it, for $200. Six months' warranty from the vacuum repair shop she bought it at.

I underwent a long and arduous search for the best vacuum, and I finally found it. I read a ton of reviews and looked at lots of models, and am very happy with my choice. However, we've only had it for a few weeks, so perhaps I'll find fault later on, but for now, my husband and I are both thrilled with this vac.

It's light, easy to maneuver and great on our hardwood floors and rugs. Even though there is no brush roller, it still works well on all our rugs, which are mostly orientals and some with a fairly thick pile. One caveat: Make sure you use the switch on the vac head to go from hardwood to carpet, or else it will make that terrible scraping sound another reviewer wrote about.

Once you hit the switch it works fine, so I guess that person just didn't notice the switch. It's nice and quiet and also works well on cat hair. The only criticism I have is that the vent blower on top of the vac can blow dust a bit but that's only when you are holding it at odd angles, like on the stairs. Once I was aware of that, I was able to turn it to avoid the issue. The cord was long enough for me; didn't have that issue as others have. I love that it has a holder to keep the wand upright when you need to stop and move something-- you don't have to find something to lean it on. Overall, I'm VERY pleased!!!

NOTE: Amazon lists a suggestion to buy vac bags at the same time, but it listed the wrong kind of bag. This machine takes G/N bags and not the other kind as was listed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPUO5U/ref=as...

I do like Kirby but new is way too spendy you can get a used self propelled model for about 200-600 at most vacuum shops

Seeing as you have a good budget for one and want versatility i would probably Recommend a

Lindhaus Healthcare Pro or Diamante they are both nice Italian vacuums with the ability to shut off the roller for hard floors I have a Healthcare Pro, it's a rather nice vacuum it's quiet it's powerful, onboard tools, long cord, the power nozzle can be replaced with a dedicated hard floor tool that swivels for easier cleaning on hard floors, the filtration ranges from an electrostatic filter which is standard to hepa, which is optional and can be added at any time

The Sebo Felix would also be a good choice

• Meghan

Dysons are amazing. But I absolutely love my Roomba 770 model. It works on my tile, picks up my cat litter and my dog hair off the carpet. Plus, all I do is hit a button on the remote and come back 30 minutes later. The only problem is it doesn't get up against edges of the walls that great- so i have to touch those up about every 2-3 weeks with my cheap vacuum.

If you use a regular vaccum, just change the depth settings when you go from carpet to hardwood.

Best Vacuum For Carpet

Kirbys we're originally made for harwood floors and now they have an electric broom attatchment and have the best suction out there for carpets because they're the only vacuum that has the patented 2 fan system so it allows it to form a full seal to the carpet so it picks up everything in its path... Not like all othe vacuums that are plastic and have that little one inch suction hole at the bottom and where theyres no suction hole, it just buries dirt(including Dysons). The "Kirby salesman" that was in your home probably wasnt authorized thats why he didn't want to go any lower. But our distributor can go as low as $1000 for the whole package if you want to finance or if all at once, we can go to $795 plus tax... So idk where you live but I think we may even be able to ship...

Source(s): I'm a Distributor Trainee/Sales Supervisor for the #1 Distributor in the World.

Shop vacs and carpet do NOT get along due to the fact that they don't have the rotating brush. I have been using my shop vac for a couple of weeks while I shop for a new vac (my Kirby's wiring is shot) and it is AWFUL at picking up pet hair! I do not recommend a shop vac.

• James

A good shop vac will do. Well under $1500 Probably around $200. Use your old ends from the other vac on it. Why waste money when they are more powerful than a regular vac?

Check http://vacuum-cleaner.us/which-is-the-best-vacuum-... for 3 good suggestions. I will go with the last one.

Dysons. They have excellent suction. I have one. I am a house cleaner. I use that thing on any type of floor. They are expensive but so worth the money.