Does it say anywhere in the Bible that Christians should treat animals with love and compassion?

A good friend of mine asked a similar question earlier today, and it inspired me to ask my own:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylc=X3oDM...

I know some family members who are strong Christians. They're good people. They are...how may I say this without sounding like a self righteous prick? They are a little bit more serious about the Bible, church, God, and other religious related topics than I am. Now keep in mind that I really love and respect these people. Some of the books that they own are books by Ken Ham, Ann Coulter, etc. Nothing wrong with those authors. Nothing wrong with my relatives themselves. They are just a bit more conservative, I suppose you could say, than I am.

These relatives (by affinity) tend to think of animals as soulless beings, and that we can treat animals as we want to. The assumption is that the animals do not have feelings. I do know in the Bible that we are given dominion over the animals, but I personally think that we should always treat animals with dignity.

What is your view?

Favorite Answer

yes, there are many inferences that indicated that we are to treat animals with respect, in Jewish tradition it is not Kosher to eat a cheese burger or any combination of beef with cheese or dairy product. This is based on the OT command about not cooking a baby cafe in its mother's milk because that is an insult.

That is just one that comes to mind, there are not really many specific commands concerning animal treatment but there are definitely clues pointing to a reasonable respect of animals, of course animals are eaten and humans are worth much more than many animals,but both the Bible and common sense point to treating them with as much respect as you reasonably can, and In my experience, the type of people who have enough of a character flaw to mistreat an animal are often not above crossing the line and having less respect for people. Although the level of disrespect might be to a lesser degree.

"I know some family members who are strong Christians. They're good people.'

I believe you, but "no one is good but God."-bible.

So there's something about the bible we both disagree about!

I feel closer already!

"They are...how may I say this without sounding like a self righteous prick? They are a little bit more serious about the Bible, church, God, and other religious related topics than I am."

You just did.(say it w/out sounding like a SRP, I mean)

But they take Ann Coulter seriously? LOL

You have my deepest sympathy.

My view?

Only eat animals that are already edible and tasty.

Chickens, yes. Dogs and cats, (only if your Chinese)

LOL

How humans carry out their responsibility toward animals is important. God's Word says: "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal." (Proverbs 12:10) Indeed, God's laws for Israel repeatedly emphasized the need to be considerate of animals. (Deuteronomy 22:4, 10; 25:4)

With that said we need to care for the animals and respect and treat them with love. We wouldn't like for any one to mistrust us so why do we have to right to do the same to others? Put your shoes in the animals and just imagine how they feel.

God is love. He taught Adam how to have dominion over animals in a loving way. That means we treat them with kindness and respect where possible. After all, God did create them.

The Word of God does not mention the treatment of animals to a great extent. However, from the creation account we get both what the Bible says about animals and how we must treat them. In Genesis 1 we find the creation of all things. It is here that we see God establishing the relationship between man and animal. In verse 28 God gives to man authority over all that was created on earth. Man is to take care of and use the earth. Man is to have the authority over all that was created. This means that man is to assume the control and protection of all that God had created. We must be careful in this role. Many are for protecting every animal no matter the cost both to mankind and to the animals.

However, it is important to notice what God does after the sin of man. Genesis 3 gives to us the details of the first sin man commits. In verse 21 God prepares for mankind a covering out of skin, for the first time an animal dies. The implications from this flow throughout the Word of God; because of man's sin, death has entered the world. However, for our discussion on animals it is important to understand that the animals are to be used by men for our needs.

In Genesis 9 there is a change between man and animal. Up to this point, animals were not used as food. However, God now includes certain animals in the diet of mankind. God also puts fear of man into the animals. Again animals are used to fill the needs of men. However, God continues His command in verse two to watch over these animals.

Animal cruelty should not take place if men truly understand the command to be “caretakers” of the earth. We are to control the numbers of animals so disease and sickness do not kill them off; we are to use the animals for our needs; we are to control animals in a manner in which they are not harmful to humans; and finally we should protect them from over-killing and abuse. The problem lies in the fact that many do not understand this balance and tend to over-protect or under-protect animals. Animals were created for us to enjoy, so protecting a remnant for others to enjoy is also proper. Proverbs 12:10 tells us, "A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."

Because of christianity's attitude I usually don't respond to its tirades, but this time I'll make an exception. I'm going to give it to you straight: If I said that anarchism is a wonderful thing, I'd be a liar. But I'd be being totally honest if I said that contrary to my personal preferences, I'm thinking about what's best for all of us. My conclusion is that what's best for all of us is for me to help people see christianity's sniveling prank phone calls for what they are. Far too many people tolerate christianity's ploys as long as they're presented in small, seemingly harmless doses. What these people fail to realize, however, is that at the heart of the problem is christianity's obliviousness to history, its moral cowardice masked in bold rhetoric, and its overwhelmingly shallow political posturing. That's pretty transparent. What's not so transparent is the answer to the following question: What will be the next object of attack from its polity? A clue might be that you should check out some of the things it's saying about Stalinism. The litany of inaccuracies, half-truths, made-up "facts", and downright falsehoods will shock you. And I won't even bother mentioning that throughout history, there has been a clash between those who wish to detail the specific steps and objectives needed to thwart christianity's rapacious schemes and those who wish to crush national and spiritual values out of existence and substitute the primitive and wicked machinery of antiheroism. Naturally, christianity belongs to the latter category.

My argument gets a little complicated here. It's not necessary to go into too long of a description about how christianity plans to pooh-pooh the reams of solid evidence pointing to the existence and operation of a quisquilious, condescending coterie of heathenism any day now. Suffice it to say that if we don't build a better world, a cleaner world, a safer world, and a saner world, our children will curse us in our graves. Speaking of our children, we need to teach them diligently that christianity plans to conduct business in a parviscient, acrimonious way by the end of the decade. I'd like to see it try to get away with such a plan; that should be good for a laugh. You see, most people have already observed that christianity is good at one thing, and that's keeping its ulterior motives secret. Only a few initiates in the inner sanctum of its peuplade know that christianity is planning to assuage the hungers of its confreres with servings of fresh scapegoats. Even fewer of these initiates know that even when christianity isn't lying, it's using facts, emphasizing facts, bearing down on facts, sliding off facts, quietly ignoring facts, and, above all, interpreting facts in a way that will enable it to persuade many of its foes to enter into a one-way "dialogue" with it. To end on a more positive note: Christianity spews lies as easily as a cuttlefish squirts out ink.

The bible says we are to care for animals. In the Bible this man overloaded his Mule, the Mule was going slow, the guy started beating the Mule, and the Mule turned around and ask the man "Why do you beat me? I'm my very best!"

In reading the bible, I see no place where Jesus kicked an animal...they are part of his creation and he loves them

I don't think we should love the creature more than the creator, but to love and care for them

In biblical times they treated animals as property, which is what domesticated animals are. They rode them, used them to pull things, and ate them, all of which are fully in line with biblical teaching. Human beings do have an ethical/moral responsibility to use the environment - air, water, forests, animals - responsibly. But that isn't because air, water, forests or animals have "rights" or "dignity"

I believe that animals should be treaten with respect. They do have feelings. Please don't treat them like garbage. They know pain & love, so they feel. They are living, and I treat them with kindness.