How much time should a parent expect their 17 year old son to spend at home with the family?

I know teens want to spend time with their friends and girl/boy friends but how much time is too much to be away from home and family? How much time should the family expect the 17 year old to spend with them at home?

What if he is spending most time away with his girlfriend. How many hours a day should they be allowed to "hang out" away from home?

He does have a part time job and he does have chores but always has to be reminded to do them and he does have a 10pm curfew. He is saving for a car so not driving yet. My biggest issue is the amount of time he is spending with the girlfriend out and about. I think 5 or 6 hours of "hanging out" is too much. They say they are just walking around stores and such but I don't like the fact that they feel the need to ALWAYS be away from the family. Her family doesn't care how long they are together or how late she stays out so I am the "bad" guy here.

And just to clarify, I do have a problem with this girlfriend because I see her as very controlling of him and I have seen major changes in his since he started dating her. She wants him away from the family as much as possible and is exerting much influence on him in every aspect. He is passive in their relationship and she is dominant.

Favorite Answer

If you don't see your kid for more than a day then that's an issue. They're not going to spend a lot of time at home because they have entered that stage where they're starting to get more freedom. As long as they keep in touch and you see them at some point during the day, expect that to be normal. If it's an issue, talk to them and let them know how you feel. Hopefully they will understand.