How Do You Feel About America?

I'm American and don't get me wrong. I have a good life. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and I have my family. I just don't like American culture. I don't even think its considered a culture. Most Americans are arrogant and our political leaders are opinionated. A lot of people here are superficial. I'm very appreciative that I live in this country, for my life is very good. There's just some things about America I just can't stand. Tell how a an athlete sometimes gets paid more than a doctor? Somebody that saves lives versus somebody that can kick a ball across a field or shoot a ball through a hoop? I just don't understand some things about our country. I talked to my dad about it and he said when he was a kid, that this country was a nicer, better place. Everyone was friendly and standards were reasonable. Nowadays, youre only considered 'attractive' if you're super skinny, or tanned, or dress a certain way or ect. America also needs to be educated about the world we live in, not just this country. I told that my friend this and she responded by saying, "Why do we need to learn about other countries or politics? We just need to know about our own country." That really left me dumbfounded. We need more enlightenment. Even the news just feeds us what makes America sound good. Not only that, but Americans usually think that our country is better than every other in every way. And stereotypes are very much a source of 'knowledge' too. I know that there are good, smart people in America. I know every country has its pros and cons and arrogant people and problems. I know that there are worst problems in the world, like in Africa or Haiti. I know, but I just can't shake this off my mind. I know I probably sound like i'm whining or being ungrateful, but i'm not. I appreciate each day I live. I wake up and think, "Wow, I have a good life with my family and this country is great.". But still, America just confuses the hell out of me sometimes.

I'm going to cut my rant off here, but tell what you think. American or not.

Favorite Answer

I don't know exactly what your point is. It just sounds like you're projecting your own personal experiences into generalizations about the entire country. I guess I would agree somewhat but the US is a big country and its hard to generlize like that. Life (and people) are very different in say Nebraska as compared to LA.

To answer your question of why an athlete makes more than a doctor-

First, you're making a mistake of comparing people who are the best at what they do (athletes) with ALL doctors. That's not a fair comparison. If you compared all athletes (99% of whom aren't good enough to go pro) with all doctors you would see very diferent results. People who are the best at what they do get paid very well regardless of what they do. If you only looked at the top doctors you would see they make much more than athletes. For example, Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong has a net worth of over 7.0 billion. I can't think of any athlete with a net worth that's 10% of that.

Second, we have a health care problem in this country that makes it difficult for doctors to make money which is why so few people choose the field anymore. Government regulation, taxes, lawsuits and skyrocketing college costs etc eat into the money doctors should be making. Everyone agrees it should be fixed they just disagree on how. Far left extremists like Michael Moore and Obama think doctors make too much and they shouldn't be allowed to sell their services in a free market. So you have that too.

Third, understand that supply and demand are what determine what people make. Athletes provide value to millions of people. Doctors usually only see one person at a time. If I created a product that provided $1 of value to every person in the country then I would have $300 million. So, a little bit of value to a lot of people can be worth more than a lot of value to a single person.

Fourth, Athletes typically don't make what you think. Yes, there are the Tigers/Arods/Jordans who make $30 mil or more a year. But the average athlete makes far less. The NFL league minimum is only about 400,000. The average NFL career is only 3 years. That means most players won't even make $1,000,000 over their entire careers after taxes. Its only the top 10 % (who are already the top 1%) who stick around long enough to get a second contract and make big money. Then consider they have to work for free for about 20 years just to get to that point and take out all the expenses (agents,lawyers, accountants, higher tax rates, higher child support etc. ) and all of a sudden they aren't making a whole lot. The average NFL player isn't making much more than minimum wage if you take everything into consideration.

Bottom line I think your confusion stems from the way you choose to look at things not the way they really are.

• alpers

There are over forty nations in Europe, now not counting 'mini-states' such because the Vatican. They have received enormously one-of-a-style histories, populations, economies and ties (or loss of ties) with the U.S.. Some, just like the United Kingdom have populations which don't do not forget themselves 'European'. There is a distinctive bedrock of Anti-americanism in France, and to a factor in Greece. Some nations are anti 'Anglo', and feature old antipathy to the whole English speaking international. Others akin to eire and the United Kingdom have very near affiliations and sympathy for American ideals.

I agree with everything you mentioned. America seems to be dumbing down a lot. I'm embarrassed to look at the kids nowadays (I'm a teenager, by the way). Most of them were rude and overweight, and swore all the time.

Despite all the problems we seem to have, I like how America is diverse. It's interesting to learn about other people's backgrounds and cultures.

Living conditions are some of the best in the world, politics are some of the most corrupt

Source(s): American

I agree with you. I think our culture spends too much time on things like looks, talents, material things like cars, etc.. instead of paying attention to what really matters.

Can't compare it to other countries but it's kinda depressing to see America getting dumber

Well, America has its wrongs and its rights. Over time, people will wake up and reform will come its way.. hopefully.

it sucks and the people are mean sefish crule and ignorant and greedy I hate people they cold careless that I struggle and go without