What is a good houseplant for the bathroom?

I want some sort of small plant for my bathroom window but not sure what to get - I was thinking of some sort of fern but apparently they're poisonous to cats (MUST BE SAFE FOR CATS) - what else is easy to find, easy to care for, and would look/feel at home in a bathroom?

• Avalon
    Favorite Answer

Spider plants are non-toXic to cats, need little care and usually do Ok in the bathroom so I go along with that as one possibility. The problem with bathrooms is that although they have high humidity which tropical plants like they have fluctuating temperatures which they don't. Also light varies from bathroom to bathroom.

If you fancy a little colour African Violets and Cape Primrose - I have had the same Cape Primrose in my bathroom for years which I sometimes forget to water so the leaves start to turn brown but it soon revives with a watering.

If you want a fern like plant try Umbrella Plant Cyperus variety which has also thrived despite my neglect! If the bathroom is cold you could try a Jasmine.

I have checked all these plants out as being safe for cats on the website www.user.xmission.com/~mailbox/plantsok

Try a spider plant. They grow very well in reduced light and will appreciate the humidity of the bathroom. They are also not poisonous to cats.

You wouldn't have wanted a fern, anyway. when they shed those little leaflets, they can be a big mess.

• Beenz

Spider plants thrive in the bathroom as their ideal conditions are situated in the moist rain forest. Of course these can grow to some size unless clipped back but look great in a hanging basket

• ?

By and large Sanseviera i'm hoping i am Spelling that proper or mom in legal guidelines Tongue or Snake Plant. Ferns probably at least for the toilet and loo. Are attempting Adiantum or Button Fern. Boston Fern. Birds Nest Fern ,of all these the mother in laws Tongue is essentially the most Adaptable so long as you refrain from Smothering it in Water as it is going to Kill it, so give it hardly ever any Water in summer season and none at all in wintry weather except it is a very Dry environment. When you Kill a mother in legal guidelines tongue you do not deserve to possess a Plant.

I was going to say that I have a spider plant in my bathroom. They can cope in humid, light, dark places and do really well.

I have also got a trailing plant. Can't remember it's name but they also do well as do cati plants. They also love the humidity from the bathrooms.

KD

A spider plant because you only have to water them when they arent damp and if you grow it from scratch you have to let the roots spread so water around it once it has started growing

Money plant will be good for the bathroom.

Source(s): Taps on tap is always available for your help
  • c c

Swedish Ivy or spider plant

Busy Lizzie or a cactus