Buying a camera... Nikon vs Canon?

So, I'm thinking about buying a DSLR camera, but I have only had experience with Canons... I don't have enough experience with Nikons to decide which I like better. What are some general pros and cons to both? In which areas are Nikons better, and in which areas are Canons better? Which do YOU prefer? :) Thanks!

• DEAD
    Favorite Answer

This type of question gets asked about which Camera Manufacture or Camera Model is better or recommended far too often which I've said this many times before and I'll say this once again.

It comes down to personal preference where some may like how Nikon feels in their hands or how the layout of the Nikon Cameras are. Vice Verse on Canon Cameras.

Nikon fans would be saying to get Nikon. Same thing with Canon Fans where they would be saying to get Canon.

So otherwise it all comes down to personal preference.

There are no pros and cons, it's just what you prefer. You might get 10 Canon and 10 Nikon answers, that doesn't help. Then you'll have useless answers like Nikon has better colors and/or Canon is sharper.

It's the same thing, a feature or two different but images are the same.

Here's a DSLR Buying Guide - http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com/2009/11/which...

Warning Warning Danger of Flames

Seriously Canon versus Nikon is a case of very equal fighters.. when one improves a bit the other tries to get better again and so on.

In short both are equal.. go to a store hold the camera.. check the placement of the buttons. See how YOU PERSONALLY feel with the camera. Find the camera for YOU.. YOU .. yes YOU..

If you buy a camera but are not happy with how it works.. well that wouldn't be smart right. So seriously go to a camera store and hold the cameras..

I'd go canon, i do professional wedding photography and videography and i can honestly say i see NOBODY using nikons, for anything...

First things first, canon beats nikon for video, anyday all day. Theyve been doing it for longer. The canon 5d mark ii shot the short film "hell and back again" and was nominated for an oscar! Thats amazing considering its a 2200 dslr camera.

in terms of photography i honestly think its personal preference.

I have a 5d mark iii and a nikon d7000 and i like the colors in the canon but i think the d7000 is faster.

the one benefit of canon is the lens's are cheaper

the nikon 24-70mm f2.8 is 1900, the canon 24-70mm f2.8 is 1300

Both are fantastic cameras and you wont go wrong with either or, but canon is taking over...

Source(s): Canon 5d mark iii owner, nikon d7000 owner and Pro wedding photo/video
  • John P

Nikon and Canon are both excellent brands of DSLR, as is Sony. I'm a Nikon user myself, partly for historical reasons. Frankly, you will get all sorts of opinions, but in most cases the choice will be personal, with just one or two features tipping the balance.

• Taylor

Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Olympus and Canon all make great cameras. Compared to Nikon and Sony, Canon's most recent offerings are a little behind in terms of technology, but theyre still good cameras.

Go to a local camera shop and try out the Rebel T3, Nikon D3200 and the Pentax models available. See which on fits in your hand better.

I prefer canon rather than nikon

• Alex

It's all personal preference really, I don't really believe that there's too much of a difference. My mother is a professional photographer she has a Canon 7D. All of her other photographer friends also use Canons. Go to a photography shop and test both brands and make a conclusion from there.

Both are great cameras and great companies. I've been shooting with Nikon for 30+ years, and am partial to them.

I currently use a Canon 5D Mk 2 and a Nikon D300.

The Canon 5D2, being full frame and having more pixels, has less noise and more detail.

The Canon lenses seem to be able to focus closer. Thus, you can deliberately decrease depth of field more than one can with the Nikon.

Both should be available used. I have used the Nikon D300s, and prefer the D300.