Best romance novels/books you've ever read?

I'm looking for a book that would leave me thinking about it for some time. Something that will make me cry of anger, or will leave me breathless. No twilight, i don't mind sci-fi ones but i really want to a book that i won't be able to stop reading.

And if you could add a small description about it. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

"The Thornbirds" by Colleen McCullough- About an Australian family and their local parish priest. The priest and Meggie, the daughter, have a lifelong relationship that turns romantic and then ends badly. One of the best books I have ever read. They made a tv miniseries about it years ago, but the miniseries paled in comparison to the book. It isn't strictly romance, but an awesome read nonetheless.

"Wideacre" by Phillipa Gregory- It is about a woman that will do anything to have control of the family estate in England during the times when women were not allowed to control much of anything. She is underhanded, devious and will stoop to any level that is necessary to achieve her ends. Not strictly romance, but you will be cursing the heroine and rooting for her cohorts. It was a real page turner for me. A guilty pleasure.

"Lady Chatterly's Lover" by DH Lawrence- Once one plods through the first few chapters and gets to the meat of the story this is an excellent romance novel. It was banned or expurgated in the US until the early sixties when it became available uncensored. Lawrence was a master at his craft. Although Constance is the main character it is interesting to get the man's point of view. It is about an affair between a Lady and her husband's gamekeeper on their estate.

Anything by LaVyrle Spencer- "Morning Glory" and "The Fulfillment" stands out for me personally.

Anything by Diana Gabaldon-"Dragonfly" was excellent.

"A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens- although this book is not in the strictest sense of the word a "romance", it is romantic, sweeping, and breathtaking. It is my all-time favorite novel. You will get used to the archaic writing style in short order. Although Dickens is not for everyone due to the writing style, I highly recommend anything he has written if you can get past this one minor obstacle.

If you want something that tugs at your heart strings read "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. It is about a mentally challenged man that becomes the subject of university tests to increase intelligence. Don't let the short synopsis throw you off the book. It is way more complicated.

I have read a lot over the years, and most of these books are fairly old, but you asked for all time favorites so that is what I gave you. Happy reading!

• Erika

Best Romance Novels Ever

Morning Glory

By Lavyrle Spencer

Nobody's Baby But Mine

By Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Lord of Scoundrels

By Loretta Chase

A Knight in Shining Armor

By Jude Devereaux

Flowers from the Storm

By Laura Kinsale

The Bride

By Julie Garwood

McKenzie's Mountain

By Linda Howard

It Had to Be You

By Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Dream Man

By Linda Howard

Outlander

By Diana Gabaldon

in spite of the reality that that's a mixture of tragedy/romance, you could not beat The computing device - via Nicholas Sparks. To me, that's a classic and between the main eye-catching memories I even have been fortunate adequate to study. on the different hand you should supply authors like Marian Keyes, Cecilia Ahern, or Katie Forde a circulate. Or, attempt most of the classics, the Bronte Sisters, Jane Austen, in line with danger even some Shakespeare!? reliable success :)

All of Ellen Hopkins books I love.

They all have to do with meth but they are all VERY unpredictable and keep me up for hours at night. I usually finish one of her books within a day or 2.

Impulse was one of the more romance suited books by her. Left me in tears.

• Mystic

If you're over 18, blackdagger brotherhood series. Very well written, not erotica. But theres some romance, serious action (bedroom and out), and best story of fate so far that i've read.

Television is only educational if you are watching a documentary or something similar

It's called madness. It is about a girl who people think is insane but she's not. She meets a boy who helps her though troubles, and loses him. Telling you anymore will ruin the story. I am writing it as well. Here's the link in source.

50 shades of grey!!