How was Mitt Romney, while on Mormon Missionary assignment in France, allowed to "date" his future wife, Ann,?

We are told in the press by the Romney campaign of the hardships of the French Missionary assignment, using a pail for a bucket and all.

But the Romney Press releases failed to say that the future Ann Romney studied in France for a semester, and was able to "date" Romney while he was on Mission and exchange phone calls.

If this is normal Missionary activity, which the Washington Post articles show the the Mormon Missionaries leave their families for two years, contact their mothers only on Mother's day and Christmas - but a rich, politically connected Mitt Romney was able to still date his future wife, instead of knocking on doors as a Minister of Religion.

Have Missionary rules changed so much? Or was it common place to allow Missionaries to have their girlfriends visit them on missions?

From wikipedia: Further clarification:

She also spent a semester at the University of Grenoble in France during her freshman year and was there during the 1968 Winter Olympics.[4] The Mormon missionary rules allowed her only two brief visits with Mitt and very rare telephone calls with him.[14]

4. "Mitt Romney Marries Ann Davies". The New York Times: p. 37. 1969-03-22.

14. Swidey, Neil; Ebbert, Stephanie (2007-06-27). "The Making of Mitt Romney: Part 4: Raising sons, rising expectations bring unexpected turns". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 15 September 2007. Retrieved 2007-09-22.

Favorite Answer

I would bet that someone made a "LARGE" donation to the Mormon church and got some rules bent.

See when you make up your own religion there is no one keeping track of who makes the rules they can do what they want.

No mission president would allow that to happen. He would have been home in a heartbeat. I do not believe that happened. It doesn't matter who the missionary is. You are correct about the activities of missionaries.

The French mission is considered a "hard" mission, meaning those who were listen and join statistically.

There is no such thing as a rich missionary, and political connections don't get you jack squat.

You provide no evidence of him "dating" his wife, he may have had permission to see her once or twice (it's not uncommon to be able to see family members or friends - I was in Italy and ran into some girl friends in Venice once).

You're post has no backing and is pretty ridiculous, but odd far fetched postings seem to be your calling card.

EDIT - so his two brief visits with her seems to be potentially consistent with mission rules. I was allowed to have lunch with my family while they were passing through Italy on vacation. I had 2 brothers serve in California, I saw both of them more than once, the younger one with full permission from his mission president was able to spend a full day with me twice.

Romney seeing his future wife briefly twice could have happened - that's not even remotely close to "dating" his wife.

No, the rules are the same, and so is the consistency in breaking them. I regularly emailed a missionary friend while he was out, even got phone calls. Turned out my "friend" was a sex obsessed freak hoping to get with me later, who is now stalking me after I told him to leave me alone...basically good boy missionary is just a stereotype based on the ideal not reality, whether there's any truth in it at all even by their own standards depends on the missionary. Finance and connections probably had nothing to do with Romney breaking rules, he was just straight up cheating on his religion. You may want to consider the implications of that in politics.

• Clover

What does Romney say about it?

Did he say that he dated her while on a mission?

I can't think of an issue I care less about.

You have a weird definition of dating.

Wow....that's the best you got now? Obama is in A LOT of trouble.

He probably wasn't left alone with her.

Face it, he was a bad boy.