Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 9 years ago

How conservative am I?

I support a national free market. Most federal regulation of businesses (minimum wage laws, anti-discrimination laws, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the ADA, etc.,) should be repealed. However, I do support tariffs on all foreign imports to protect American manufacturing jobs because tariffs made us very prosperous in the 1800's and I value our country's economic self-sufficiency and independence. All federal interventions that are not specifically enumerated in the Constitution should be abolished (the FDA, the EPA, the Dept. Of Education, Commerce, HUD, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, etc.,). Abolish the Federal Reserve and all federal income taxes and return to the gold standard. We should close our military bases, end all foreign aid, withdraw from the UN entirely, and avoid entangling alliances. I think abortion should be outlawed throughout the country, but every other social issue, like drugs, prostitution, gambling, and pornography, should be left to the states. I strongly support a repeal of the 17th Amendment to restore state sovereignty. I think English should be declared the official language of this country and immigrants should be required to learn it. I'm against amnesty for illegals and think we should end birthright citizenship. I think it's important to remember our country's Christian roots by keeping "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, keeping "In God We Trust" on our currency, and excluding the federal government from all jurisdiction over the religious affairs of the states.

I'm not trying to "discredit" anyone. I respect those who disagree with me. What are you talking about? How do I misunderstand or "exaggerate" conservatism?

Favorite Answer

Since I don't know you, I wouldn't know.

Only you know the answer to this question since it's about you.

Years in the past, the Progressive Party, and the Conservative Party joined to come to be the Progressive Conservatives. Much extra not too long ago, the Reform celebration (which integrated humans who had damaged clear of the PC's) joined, and the title began out because the Conservative-Reform Alliance till the whole becoming a member of, after which they made up our minds on being simply the Conservative Party of Canada. Provincially, so much Conservative events are nonetheless Progressive Conservative. There aren't any "authentic" hyperlinks among the provincial and federal events, however, they most often all incorporate the equal humans. Unlike the USA, Canada isn't damaged into conservatives, and liberals. We have a 3rd institution, the socialists, who is celebration is the New Democratic Party. So, the NDP is at the left, the Liberals within the centre, and the Conservatives at the proper. In the final Federal election, the Liberals have been almost burnt up, and we've got the Conservatives in vigor, and the NDP as Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. There could also be the Bloc Quebecois, who advocates Quebec isolating from Canada. In the final Federal election: Conservatives 166 seats (fifty three.nine%) NDP 103 seats (33.four%) Liberals 34 seats (eleven.zero%) Bloc Quebecois four seats (a million.three%) Green celebration a million seat (zero.three%) 308 seats in complete.

Like most people that profess to be conservative or liberal you don't really understand what the words mean. Also like most people that profess to be conservative or liberal you want a constitutionally limited government on issue "one" but want more government on issue "two." I would argue you are incorrect on issue "two". I'd you're say mostly conservative, as most have come to believe what it means, somewhat socially liberal, and quite misguided, but a possible candidate for embracing libertarianism.

Erasing the 17th amendment is one thing but more valuable is a dramatic reduction in federal spending (perhaps helped by the repeal) especially in small geographic areas. When the fed holds the purse strings they can coerce States into conformity. Example: the United States does not have a federal age for legal consumption of alcohol. But most every State does what the fed wants because the fed threatens to cut off highway funds if they don't.

Tariffs don't work. All they do is artificially inflate the price of imported goods. A tariff is virtually identical to an embargo. The goal is to punish. Prohibiting a nation from trading is a punishment. Why would we do that to ourselves? For items that are only available by import, crops that do not grow in the US for example, you punish yourself. The greatest thing government can do in this regard (and others) is to implement the Fair Tax. This dramatically increases the price competitiveness of domestic goods and services.

Press 2 for English. Like it or not it's coming. "But I'm an American". Unless you are a native American shut up. We are all descendents of immigrants or naturalized citizens. Most did not speak English. They learned. Why? I only speak English. If you want to deal with me, hire me, be hired by me, buy something I'm selling, etc., you're going to have to learn my language. No law is required. English is the primary language due to the number of English speaking immigrants and defeating Germans, Mexicans, and others in various wars and battles.

The United States WAS NOT FOUNDED ON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES. Quite the opposite is true. You cannot find that idea in ANY of the founding documents. The Country was founded amongst other things upon a strong concept of religious freedom, of it and from it. The founders made it very clear the government is a secular one. Many of the founders were not god believers. Some were. Some were Unitarians. They all agreed a complete disconnect of religion and function of the government was appropriate. There's quotes from most all of the founders including the Christians expressing the Country is not based on nor favors any religious faith.

Roger Williams, an English Protestant, church founder, and 9th President of the Colony of Rhode Island wrote extensively on the separation of church and state 100 years before the founding, although primarily from the approach that government would corrupt religion.

The Pledge was written in 1892 by a socialist, Baptist minister named Francis Bellamy. It did not contain the words "under god." It was written for school Columbus Day celebrations. It has been altered a few times. In 1951 after a movement by the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic, organization, the words "under god" were added. That means from 1783 when the United States was recognized as a sovereign nation through 1951, 168 years, it was not a "nation under god."

"In god we trust" became the official motto in 1956. It first appeared on coins in 1864 but not on paper money until 1957.

If you could discard your nationalism, keep your bible where it belongs, and learn just a little more about economics you'd be a good fit into libertarianism. That's good. Many of the things on your list are not expressed by neither the typical conservative nor typical liberal and are most often reserved to libertarians.

I question why you would repeal the civil rights act, minimum wage and ADA.

It sounds like you're pretty Conservitive.

Not very conservative. The text of your question appears to have been influenced by your misunderstanding of what conservatives are all about, or you have a good understanding of conservatives and are used the liberal tactic of exaggeration of fact to discredit others who you disagree with, or who disagree with you. I find it difficult to take you too seriously.

Quite. Sad to say.