Do you think that schools should have stronger physical fitness programs for girls?

I am asking this because there actually ARE standards that are considered minimal for physical fitness for women. As far as I know, young women should be able to jog a mile, bench half their own weight, do one chin-up, five push-ups (flat like a board, not granny push-ups). etc. Do you think that women are... show more I am asking this because there actually ARE standards that are considered minimal for physical fitness for women.

As far as I know, young women should be able to jog a mile, bench half their own weight, do one chin-up, five push-ups (flat like a board, not granny push-ups). etc.

Do you think that women are not encouraged to work themselves to their physical potential, like men might be? Why would this be the case?
Update: Actually ... to the person who says that women being physically in shape goes against evolution .... before we lived in cities, etc. we were hunter-gatherers for tens of thousands of years. Gathering involves walking for many miles over rough terrain, while carrying babies on their backs, etc. When were women... show more Actually ... to the person who says that women being physically in shape goes against evolution .... before we lived in cities, etc. we were hunter-gatherers for tens of thousands of years. Gathering involves walking for many miles over rough terrain, while carrying babies on their backs, etc.

When were women sedentary except among wealthy people, living in urban areas?

Finally, are we not up to the challenge? Does it help childhood obesity, when the system gives in to people complaining about being physically active?
Update 2: Thank you for your answers.

I am putting this question to vote, because honestly there were so many interesting insights and I could not decide which to pick.