ss asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 8 years ago

How to wire a low voltage light system to a traditional overhead light fixture?

I would like to install low voltage lights under the kitchen cabinets of my small kitchen. Instead of plugging the low voltage lights into the already limited number of outlets, I would like to wire the low voltage system to the overhead light fixture. I could then run the low voltage lights to either side of the kitchen and those initial wires would run across the attic, above the ceiling The tranfsformer would be in the attic too. the same light switches would turn both the main light and the low voltage lights too. Do you see any problems with this proposed idea? If so, can you recommend an alternative. Thanks.

The ceiling light fixture is on a 15 amp breaker. I do not think that this breaker is controlling the electricity on a lot of lights or appliances. The current ceiling light fixture itself has 2 cfl bulbs. will just adding the the low voltage lights to this configuration cause the current switches that are in place to shut off both the ceiling light fixture and the low voltage lights?

• XTX
    Favorite Answer

=yes it will work ============ if you mean low voltage or 12 volt lighting with a transformer like garden lighting ======== use some caution and read on the light bulbs the wattage versus the powered wattage of the transformer as this has a direct effect of the lamps and not blowing out the light bulbs ..... those lights have to be wired in a series and it is required that you have those connections that are in the attic in a spark arrestor to prevent a fire [[ this is code and is safety to stay in the parameters of your insurance coverage ]] .................

• You can climb into the actic and tap into the box fish the wire down the wall and run extend the wire under the cabinets. You then plug in the lights like normal or you can also clip the plug off the light and wire direct to the romex before the transformer. Make sure you use the appropriate type of wire nuts for the connection.

As long as the lights are wired properly, I do not see a problem with this.

presumably you are referring to downlights ? (low voltage surface light fittings tend to come complete with required transformer) as previous, i would opt for a transformer for each fitting, these would normally be rated around 60-65w each, and should fit into the hole in the ceiling, this makes it easier to change at a later date if required. dimmable transformers are also available, make sure you use appropriate rated dimmer switch. it is normal for a low voltage transformer to 'buzz' whilst in operation, more so when dimmed. once low voltage bulbs are nearing the end of there lifetime, you may see a colour change, a kind of blu/purple. I would avoid using low voltage fittings in a kitchen or bathroom, purely because the lights in these rooms tend to be used sparingly, thus reducing the lifetime of the bulbs. for these rooms I would opt for mains halogen, (GU10) which do not require transformer, as they work off 240v, reducing maintenance issues (no trannie to replace later) and low wattage LED bulbs are available for these,downside is the bulbs are more expensive. if in doubt check with a qualified electrician

how many lights are already on the circuit? adding additional load might exceed the fuse rating.