How to use pencils of types given here in drawing and sketching?

1.6B

2.8B

3.2B

4.H

5.B

6.4B

7.2H

8.HB2, PLEASE EXPLAIN THE USE OF EACH AND EVERY TYPE.

Favorite Answer

Rule of thumb is, the higher the B grade (2B,4B,6B) the softer and darker the lead is. Those leads are good for life drawing as they allow for you to go from light to dark quickly and encourage more line expression.

The higher the HB (2H, 4H, 6H) the harder the lead is and the lighter the line will be. Those hard leads are typically used by architects and designers as they give a very straight hard line.

I'd recommend sticking between 2B-6B if you're doing sketching/drawing.

Otherwise, experiment!

Source(s): Illustrator. Worked at art store for 2 years.
  • Rhonda

If you want it to be right in between hard and soft, I would say to use a regular BIC or Office Max or some sort of #2 pencil. I use BIC mechanical pencils because they have a good amount of precision and I can always get whatever result I want. If you want a softer point, I would use charcoal or a 4B pencil. You have to make sure you don't make it too soft, though, or else when you may want to erase things, you might erase the wrong point, and if you have multiple lines, it's always hard to get it right back onto the track. If you want a hard point, I suggest going for the graphite. Something around a 4H. But hard pencils are also hard to erase and to be rid of, so I would only use the hard stuff for any permanent lines that you need to be on the sketch. For instance, don't use the harder pencils for sketching out face dementions or the begining of the sketch. Proportions should be put together with a soft pencil, easy to erase, easy to be rid of. The hard stuff should be used for lines that you want to keep, the good contour lines that you think you may want to ink, if at all. The hard ones you want to use for permanent lines, anywho. Good luck with finding good pencils. It shouldn't be too hard to keep under twenty easy bucks. ^..^

H pencils or HB pencils are best for sketching. The line is lighter and thinner as the graphite is harder.

B pencils are best for adding value to a drawing. The higher the number, the blacker the graphite is.

For example, if you had an image you would like to draw then shade, you could use 2H to draw the quickest of sketches, H to refine the sketch a little, 2B to get the base shading down, 4B to define it even more and then 6B/8B to bring or the darkest tones. Remember to use the darkest tones sparingly, they're a good example of whens sometimes less is more.

Just practice using them drawing different things until you get a feel for it. For example, you might decide to only ever use H, 4B and 6B to draw, it's completely up to you. :P

Each pencil has many different uses depending on what you are doing. Sorry but you will just have to experiment to find out how to use them.