promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

PLEASE HELP! WEAKNESS OF CAR BODY MADE OF BAMBOO?

I'm designing a car and thinking of using bamboo to make the car's shell or car body. What are the possible weakness of a car shell or car body made of bamboo? Please tell me as many weaknesses as you know, thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • kasab
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A drastic change in the material to make the car's shell or car body would necessitate a complete restructuring of the body .

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Bugs like to make home with bamboo and moss like to grow on the surface of bamboo. Also bamboo is not a fire proof material. Bamboo shall be decay within two years in outdoor moisture area.

• Jason
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

It's pretty light, meaning high accelerations on your passengers in the event of a crash. Probably flammable, too. Your crash safety ratings might be unacceptably poor.

How well does it tolerate heat and vibration? There will be places where bamboo is next to vibrating engine mounts, and others where it might be near hot exhaust lines. What happens to bamboo exposed to oil? Does it dry out and crack when exposed to sun for long periods? (Can you mitigate that by treating it, or applying a coating?)

Does it expand or contract a lot when aged, or heated, or cooled, or wet? (I'm wondering if your frame is going to deform when the weather changes.)

• A!
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

in some asian countries bamboo is used instead of scaffolding poles because its lighter and strong enough for the job and some 70to100yr old fishing rods are still capable of catching a fish.the morris traveller was part made of wood and they survived long enough to be preserved as classic cars ,i dont see to many problems with this idea that cant be sorted,but in a accident the splinters could be a problem

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This sounds completely retarded. I'm not sure what company your friend signed up with but it sucks. The internal safety cage and the frame of a car are usually made of steel. Most car companies make the bumpers out of plastics now, some make the hoods out of carbon fiber and fiberglass. Unless he has some exotic Ferrari Enzo or something which is all hand laid carbon fiber.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.