promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I have a goverment debate and i need to know whats the advantage of Stem Cell Research and Genetic Engineering?

please make it short and simple

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Jenny
    Lv 4
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Stem cells are biological cells found in all multicellular organisms, that can divide (through mitosis) and differentiate into diverse specialized cell types and can self-renew to produce more stem cells. In mammals, there are two broad types of stem cells: embryonic stem cells, which are isolated from the inner cell mass of blastocysts, and adult stem cells, which are found in various tissues. In adult organisms, stem cells and progenitor cells act as a repair system for the body, replenishing adult tissues.

Medical researchers believe that stem cell therapy has the potential to dramatically change the treatment of human disease. A number of adult stem cell therapies already exist, particularly bone marrow transplants that are used to treat leukemia.[52] In the future, medical researchers anticipate being able to use technologies derived from stem cell research to treat a wider variety of diseases including cancer, Parkinson's disease, spinal cord injuries, Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, multiple sclerosis, and muscle damage, amongst a number of other impairments and conditions.[53][54] However, there still exists a great deal of social and scientific uncertainty surrounding stem cell research, which could possibly be overcome through public debate and future research, and further education of the public.

Genetic engineering techniques have been applied in numerous fields including research, biotechnology, and medicine. Medicines such as insulin and human growth hormone are now produced in bacteria, experimental mice such as the oncomouse and the knockout mouse are being used for research purposes and insect resistant and/or herbicide tolerant crops have been commercialized. Genetically engineered plants and animals capable of producing biotechnology drugs more cheaply than current methods (called pharming) are also being developed and in 2009 the FDA approved the sale of the pharmaceutical protein antithrombin produced in the milk of genetically engineered goats.

In medicine genetic engineering has been used to mass-produce insulin, human growth hormones, follistim (for treating infertility), human albumin, monoclonal antibodies, antihemophilic factors, vaccines and many other drugs.[41] Vaccination generally involves injecting weak live, killed or inactivated forms of viruses or their toxins into the person being immunized.[42] Genetically engineered viruses are being developed that can still confer immunity, but lack the infectious sequences.[43] Mouse hybridomas, cells fused together to create monoclonal antibodies, have been humanised through genetic engineering to create human monoclonal antibodies.[44]

Genetic engineering is used to create animal models of human diseases. Genetically modified mice are the most common genetically engineered animal model.[45] They have been used to study and model cancer (the oncomouse), obesity, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, substance abuse, anxiety, aging and Parkinson disease.[46] Potential cures can be tested against these mouse models. Also genetically modified pigs have been bred with the aim of increasing the success of pig to human organ transplantation.[47]

Gene therapy is the genetic engineering of humans by replacing defective human genes with functional copies. This can occur in somatic tissue or germline tissue. If the gene is inserted into the germline tissue it can be passed down to that person's descendants.[48] Gene therapy has been used to treat patients suffering from immune deficiencies (notably Severe combined immunodeficiency) and trials have been carried out on other genetic disorders.[49] The success of gene therapy so far has been limited and a patient (Jesse Gelsinger) has died during a clinical trial testing a new treatment.[50] There are also ethical concerns should the technology be used not just for treatment, but for enhancement, modification or alteration of a human beings' appearance, adaptability, intelligence, character or behavior.[51] The distinction between cure and enhancement can also be difficult to establish.[52] Transhumanists consider the enhancement of humans desirable.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Many scientists, doctors and researchers have a god-like complex. Because they cannot prevent and cure the diseases we already have and suffer from, they feel the need to come up with innovating procedures to make a name for themselves. Cloning? Isn't it God's job to create life? Where will this lead and where will it end? Stem Cell research? Take a part of a created human being and use it to help out an ill human. Where would this lead and where would it end? Genetic Engineering? Engineering is the word that throws me here. I am against all three and no I would not partake in any of them even if I needed a heart. Embryonic stem cell is repulsive to me and the day will come when they will pay women to get pregnant because there aren't enough embryonic stem cells to go around. Man abuses everything!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.