What is a good camera to buy for under 1,000 dollars?

I here the Canon Rebel series are good for up close and rapid action shooting. Please tell me your picks.

Thank You

Favorite Answer

Sony A57, Pentax K30. Both better options than Canon or Nikon in this price range.

The Sony can shoot 10fps at full res if you want, has face detection, smart object tracking, and full fast phase auto focus when shooting video, Nikon and Canon can't do that, not even the new T4i, and you can still focus manually if you want. Steady shot is inside, not in the lens, so every lens is stable, including primes. CaNikon doesn't make stable primes.

If you are going to shoot more stills than video, then the Pentax K30 is the better choice, in body anti shake like Sony, and fantastic weather sealing not available from the big three at this price. Also has both the front and rear control dials which Sony and Nikon only give you with the mid range bodies. Both cameras use superior Sony image sensors (Nikon uses them too) and they easily beat out the Canon image sensors for noise in low light, dynamic range, and color (you can see at DxOmark.com).

For under 1,000 a used Nikon D7000 would be great if you go that way. The follow up to the D5100 is probably due, so you might want to wait for that. I'd avoid the entry level D3100 and D3200 since you have a higher budget. Canon makes a fine camera, but they are always on the bottom of my recommend list because they are still playing catch up. They also seem to use the same 18MP sensor in the cheap entry level dSLRs and the expensive 7D, it's not a great value for the money.

Recommended as a first-time DSLR, the Canon T3i has ample of features. There is so much to do with this camera. As soon as I learn one feature, it's on to the next exciting one. Takes amazing photographs. Just last night, I took some outstanding low-light shots that were exciting for a newbie like me, and would not have been do-able with a standard point-and-shoot. I really like the swivel on the live view when doing video clips, which was another reason I chose this camera over competitive models. You can use the live view to shoot stills as well, but I'm trying to learn the manual features and the viewfinder to get better acquainted with the camera.

I've three historical college film cameras - a Canon EX, a Nikon FE, and an old Minolta. I've had the Canon and the Nikon for years, and i received the Minolta a number of years in the past. My mom purchased it at a yard sale for $20 (Canadian) with a case and two zoom lenses, together with a great Tamron. I exploit all three every so often, and although I also have two digital cameras, I still like to shoot film. I would go with a Nikon. There may be a lot of fine lenses available for them from unique producers, they usually didn't change their lens mounts regularly. Check out pawn stores or any place that sells used cameras - there's tons of bargains available in the market.

Canon is not good for close up or rapid shooting. Where did you read such nonsense? No brand is best for something because it depends on the model, lens and the user.

Canon EOS T2i, T3i, 60D, Nikon D3100 and D5100 would be the best.

Here's a DSLR Buying Guide - http://www.the-dslr-photographer.com/2009/11/which...

the Canon rebel series cameras (T3, T2i, T3i, T4i)

Nikon D3100, D3200, D5100

Pentax K-30