FAFSA question? important!?

Hello I am currently 17 and a junior in high school. My senior year I am planning on living with my grandma to gain financial aid because as it is we do not qualify. So do I need to change the address of my paychecks now? I cannot afford college without doing this

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Your grandma will have to become your legal guardian (actually done in court) while you are still 17.. you would have to move in with her now & go your senior year of high school from her home

otherwise, you would have to use your parent's info until you otherwise meet FAFSA independent student (over 24, join the military, get married, provide for dependent child, etc...)

see what was posted about FAFSA... this one:

54. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you in legal guardianship?

You would have to be in Legal Guardianship with your grandma as your legal guardian... then you would not have to use your parent's information

In order to meet the courts definition for Legal Guardianship, you would have to reside at grandma's house.. no one ever said you could not visit or sleep over at your parent's house

And, Yes... to a certain extent "big brother" does catch these things... if your grandma is in a different area than your parents house, then it would be easy to spot the issue of where you went to school --- You can't go into legal guardianship once you turn 18..... so, the end result would be that you would have to go finish high school from grandma's house

it is correct that you would not have to use your grandma's either... I never said you would have to use grandma's... only that you would not have to use your parents' tax info

• 9 years ago

your plan will not work, and it's stupid anyway. Why? First, ANYONE can get finanical aid no matter what your income is (or your parents income). and two:

Grandparents financial information NEVER goes on a fafsa. NEVER! It doesn't matter where you live your senior year, or even if she does become your legal guardian... the dependency status question states you are independent (and don't report any grandparent or parent.

45. Were you born before January 1, 1989?

46. As of today, are you married? (Also answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.).

47. At the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)?

48. Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training? See Notes page 2.

49. Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces? See Notes page 2.

50. Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013? .

51. Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2013?

52. At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?

53. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?

54. As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you in legal guardianship?

55. At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?

56. At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?

57. At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

• PETA
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You can move out, have your own apartment, pay your own bills and taxes and still need your parents until you are age 24. There are 2 FAFSA statuses independent( do not need parental info for FAFSA) and dependent (do need parental info on FAFSA). These statuses are totally different from you being an independent person or you being named a dependent on someones taxes. Totally different. From FAFSA help: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc02k.htm The special circumstances are your parents in jail, you are adopted, you were removed from parents for documented abuse. You can call them if you thinkyhou have a special circumstance but they are very strict on it.

You should still file as you can be offered federal student loans which are better rates that private loans and then any shortage still you will need a private loan. So if you think this will be your case you probably will want to go to community college, at least for a couple years to get your gen eds done and then transfer to a low cost college so those loans you will need to take out are the lowest they can be or you will in big debt when you get out of college.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/site...

• 9 years ago

It's true, you would have to arrange for her to become your legal guardian in court and transfer schools if she lives outside your school district. As far as moving if with her, yes, if you want to do it legally, but if you like living with your parents no one's going to penalize you for an extended sleep over lol. People can be so anal about the technicalities and "doing things the legal way" but Big Brother's not watching us through the TV yet and you won't have a social worker staking out your house 24/7. No one's going to check and you may be able to arrange to stay at your school even if she lives outside the school district. Such arrangements are often made for the sake of the student when legal guardianship is transferred. But you will still have to go to court for her to become your legal guardian. Under certain circumstances, you could also become emancipated. That's much more difficult to get done, but it's worth looking into for the sake of financial aid. My parents' income is about $100 grand a year with debt and an ongoing divorce that fafsa couldn't care less about. If I could go back in time I would do it. Financial Aid sucks -_-

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 하하
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You can move in with her and change your address all you want, but you'll still have to use your parents' tax info for financial aid. They are your legal guardians and the only ones who you can list on your FAFSA.

• 4 years ago

you will probable opt to publish what you purchased decrease back out of your taxes or you're able to opt to get into severe offender problem for mendacity to the authorities. you're able to opt to call the fafsa telephone, and ask them in case you inspite of the reality that would opt to place your be sure's information. even besides the fact that i've got have been given faith you do would opt to realize this, different than you're over 24. yet do put in your taxes, and how lots u made. And as promptly as decrease back in basic terms furnish them a decision to earnings if what you probable did is helpful. desire this helped. (Now i could opt to flow fill out my fafsa =)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.