Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 9 years ago

What is euro in soccer?

Is it like a big tournament I keep hearing about it on ESPN (sorry I don't follow soccer I'm a american football fan )

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A competition of all the best football (soccer) nations in Europe. It's common belief that Europe host the best footballing countries on the planet, so it's a rather large tournament. The only teams not involved are obviously the big South American sides such as Brazil, Argentina etc.

Kind of like a World Cup, but a step under. Still a big competition though.

• 9 years ago

the "euro" is the Euro 2012 Finals tournament is a 16 team soccer tournament where 16 teams (representing 16 European countries that have qualified for the tournament) compete for the title of being the best European nation at soccer.

Right now it is the group stage, where the 16 teams are divided into 4 groups of 4 and each team plays each other once (3 games). A win equals 3 points, an even scoreline is 1 point, and a loss is 0 points. The 2 teams with the most points in each group moves on to the next round

the next round is a basic, 1-game knockout tournament with brackets, with Quarter Finals, Semi Finals, and the Final tournament. the winner gets the prestige of being better than everyone else.

it happens every 4 years and 2 years after each World Cup (like the Summer & Winter Olympics)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's a tournament that is held every 4 years by UEFA. There are 16 European teams compete in this tournament. It is considered as the second best football tournament for national teams (after the World Cup)

• 9 years ago

The euro is the most important event this summer. Besides the olyimpics. It consist of ONLY european nations which play a football tournament. But you don't have to be european to enjoy the euro12. Choose a nation and join the fun. Seeing as you are american I would think u would choose england due to the sharing of language.

Go portugal!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Europe has the Euro Championship.

North America has the Gold Cup.

South America has the Copa America.

Asia has the Asian Cup.

• 9 years ago

Its basically the Soccer championship for the continent of Europe. 16 teams make it and play for the title. The favorites this year are Spain, germany, and the Netherlands.

• MELONS
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

FOOTBALL championship for the continent of Europe. 16 teams make it and play for the title. The favorites this year are Spain, germany, and the Netherlands Stage football, knock out rounds.

• 9 years ago

It's a World Cup like tournament, but only half the number of countries allowed and exclusively for European countries. Also, it's arranged by UEFA, not FIFA

• You mean FOOTBALL??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.