mej414 asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 9 years ago

Can I make my brown hair lighter using blonde hair dye instead of bleach?

I only want to dye my bangs. If I use a really light blonde, will it make it somewhat lighter without bleach?

Favorite Answer

If you don't have any other colour products in your hair, a light blonde will lighten your hair somewhat. You can check the colour examples on the side or back of the box to see how much lighter your hair would go using whatever product/colour you chose. If you have already coloured your hair with a darker product, then no. In that case, you would need to use a bleaching product.

• Stacey

Lol I just wanted to go ahead and say that a blonde dye will lighten it a little bit and the level of lift will be permanent because pigment has been lifted. Depending on the developer you use tells you how many levels it can lift your hair. Most box dyes have 20 vol developer. If you have previously dyed your hair before it will be harder to lift. But if it is natural, then it may lift 2 levels. Blonde dyes are meant for gray coverage and to tone blonde hair. You can make your hair lighter, but it won't be much lighter and it will more than likely be brassy. If you want blonde hair, you should probably just bleach it.

If you use a blonde, it'll turn blonde, but eventually it'll wash out. If you want something permanent use the bleach, because the only way you can get rid of the bleach is by cutting it off or redyeing over it. So basically the only difference between dyeing it and blaching it is, bleaching is permanent dyeing is not.

Source(s): personal experience

properly maximum blonde hair dye does have bleach in it, yet putting it in for under 5 or 10 minutes won't help plenty. additionally, in case you attempt this it may result making your hair spotty with blotches of coloration. the main suitable guess bleach your hair and then dye it the colour you pick it to be.

Jet black hair. I have really dark brown hair and I consider dark hair looks better. I may really like blonde hair.