What do people want for...?

What do people want in a Fantasy novel anymore? It seemed that all it took back in the 20th century was a hero's quest, a pseudo-European world, some elves, dwarves, and men against a race of automatic bad guys and a Dark Lord who has returned, etc. I could go on for hours about all the stereotypes of fantasy. But now it seems to break the mold is the secret, not only in Epic Fantasy, but Fantasy in general. Harry Potter broke the mold, and although I'm not too fond of either of them, so did Hunger Games and Twilight. A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) is a good example of a High Fantasy novel that broke the mold. I'm asking, what do you think is required in a good Epic Fantasy these days when it seems readers crave something new but great, rather than the same old stereotypes. Thanks for your opinions, answers, and input! :)

Favorite Answer

Personally - a great plot: - something that is fresh and original that hasn't been done before. That's the job of an author - to bring a bran new perspective to an already used world. To re-invent old ideas and to bring back to life the many things we have forgotten.

I would love to read a story that hasn't been done before, or at least has a plot that is so vast and varies so greatly from any other that it stands out.

You can use elves, dwarves, dark elves...etc all things like that and still create something that hasn't been done.

Source(s): Would you answer my question too please? http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkWkL...

Check out the steampunk genre. My sister (and much of Japan) is into that now.

How about a female lead that isn't overly sexual or masculine? That would be a stretch in the right direction.