What is the proper etiquette for eating a Chinese steam bun?

A local restaurant serves steamed dumplings and fried dumplings, which I get how to eat with chopsticks. However, they also serve steam buns such as pork and cabbage steam buns which are bready and larger. What is the proper way to eat a large steam bun? Do I just lift the huge thing with my chopsticks and take... show more A local restaurant serves steamed dumplings and fried dumplings, which I get how to eat with chopsticks. However, they also serve steam buns such as pork and cabbage steam buns which are bready and larger. What is the proper way to eat a large steam bun? Do I just lift the huge thing with my chopsticks and take bites out of it or carve it up with a fork? The fork option is pretty messy.

I think it's considered bad form to eat anything with your hands in Chinese cuisine, but I see people eating them this way in videos on YouTube. I haven't been able to see how any local Chinese eat them, so I'm very curious.
Update: I was just mentioning steam dumplings, but the actual question was about the larger steam buns.
1 answer 1