Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

Are girls who diet also considered anorexic?

To settle an argument between me and my friend please answer this question:

When a person who's skinny diets is that considered anorexia, or is anorexia only when someone won't eat at all?

Update:

So far it seems as though, I was correct :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

NO

Anorexia is wayyy more than just not eating, no matter if you are already skinny or not.

When you are anorexic, its either because you want to lose weight fast, want to prove someone wrong, or be in "control" of something.

You don't just not eat. You look fat to yourself even if you arent, you feel guilty and worthless after eating, and most consume less than 300 cals a day "when the recomended amout for dieting is 2000)

Do some research on it. Its much more emotional than physical.

• 9 years ago

You're both right. To the other people saying that anorexic people don't eat one thing all day, you're kinda wrong. If you're thin by medical standards and you prevent yourself from eating something or eat only like one meal a day, then you're probably anorexic, but maybe mildly (b/c anorexia is a serious disease and the word can't just be thrown around). But if you prevent yourself from eating something (or things) because you know it's bad for you, even if you're skinny, you're probably not anorexic, just tryna be healthy.... was that confusing? yes? ok.... -_-

• Jade
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

No not at all! Anorexia is a mental disorder where the person intentionally starves themselves. Also, when thin people have anorexia (overweight people can have it too!) they think they are fat when they really aren't. Dieting and starving are very different. As long as the skinny person is eating 1200+ calories a day, they are not starving theirself.

• Anorexia is when you THINK eating will make you fat. And don't get me wrong, if you eat too much or too unhealthy food, you will get fat. But anorexics think that ALL food is bad for you, and they think any food will make you fat. They don't even realize how skinny they get. For anorexics, skinny is never skinny enough.

Source(s): Recovered anorexic
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, a diet is a diet if you just want to be healthy and fit. Aneroxia is not eating 1 thing all day everyday. But atleast when a thin person is on a diet they atleast eat Something.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Anorexia is an eating disorder of which the person will not eat. Bulimia is when someone will eat but then purge.

• 9 years ago

As long as you are eating enough and not starving yourself your fine. If a skinny girl eats right & exercise she just being smart and doing what's healthy and good for herself to help agaisnt becoming over weight :) and just making good habits

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i thought anorexia is when someone wont eat at all or wont eat enough. not someone who eats a little less than usual for whateverr reason

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.