Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

What is the Icelandic word for blood?

This is going to sound nerdy, but I love the country Iceland [Even though i've never been] and I want to learn how to say "blood" in the language!

Favorite Answer

"blóð" (only in nominative and accusative) = "blood"

"blóði" (dative)

"blóðs" (genitive)

"blóðið" (nom/acc) = "the blood"

"blóðinu" (dat)

"blóðsins" (gen)

"blóðið mitt" = "my blood"

Pronounciation:

IPA [plouːθ]

----

[edit]

@anon: nafnið mitt birtist sem "?" O.o hvað gengur eiginlega á :(

Source(s): brain

The word for blood (in Icelandic) is blóð. Source: Google Translate

Hope this helps!

To help clarify what ? said, Icelandic has four cases - nominative, accusative, dative, and genitive, as well as both singular and plural forms of each, and the definitive article (aka, "the") isn't a separate word but is declined as part of the noun itself. So there's 4 (case) * 2 (number) * 2 (definitive or not) = 16 forms of every noun. And you have to use them right in the sentence.

Now, of course, there's no point to using blood (blóð) in the plural, so you can ignore half of those. That leaves you with what "?" said. Blóð is a neuter noun, so the form of "my" that you use is neuter (mitt), and you refer to it as "it" (það, því, þess) in sentences instead of "he" (hann, honum, hans) or "she" (hún, hana, henni, hennar).

To know what case you need to use, that depends on the sentence. Each verb and each particle requires specific cases for specific meanings. The standard way to show all the (non-definitive) forms when declining is:

Það er blóð, um blóð, frá blóði, til blóðs

That is, literally: "It is blood, about blood, from blood, to blood". "Is" (er) takes the nominative, "about" (um) takes the accusative, frá (from) takes the dative, and til (to) takes the genitive. For particles, what form they take is pretty random; you just have to learn them. Most verbs (although far from all) take either just the accusative, or if the verb has two objects, what you're doing the verb to takes the dative and what you're doing it about takes the accusative (for example, "ég gaf honum bíl": literally, "I gave him a car". Ég (I, nominative) gaf (give, past tense 1st person singular indicative) honum (him, dative) bíl (car, accusative). But note that there are exceptions, often quite inexplicably. For example, muna (remember) takes the accusative but gleyma (forget) takes the dative!

Anyway, just thought I'd elaborate a bit.

@þjarki: Hehe, ég hélt að "?" hlyti að vera þú ;)

Source(s): I'm a new immigrant to Iceland.