Good audition songs for the role of Dorothy?

Im auditioning for The Wizard of Oz for a CYT Wichita production. The role I am hoping and praying for would be Dorothy. Now, the auditions are in about 3 months, so I would like to get responses ASAP! I'm a second soprano, or alto but nothing to low. Anything that's Disney is BEST!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

Favorite Answer

Disney music is a general "don't" in the professional world, so I'd steer clear of that to increase your chances, first of all.

Now, you'll need to show that you have the range, tone, and acting for the part. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to play the Lion in a community theatre production recently, so I'm familiar with the stage version of the show.

Dorothy is an odd character in the stage version of the show because she sings very diverse songs - there's the obviously classic "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" to the upbeat song that was deleted from the movie and put into the stage show, "Jitterbug". Ideally, the song will show your ability to carry both sides of the role.

So you're going for a sweet, ingenue song, to suit the character, but not a soprano role, because Dorothy only sings up to a D, making her an alto. So what you're looking for is alto ingenue, a shockingly rare type of role, since most ingenues are very high sopranos. Here are some ideas to get you started, though I'd recommend keeping this in mind and continuing to look for material:

- Can't Say No from Oklahoma!

- Jimmy from Thoroughly Modern Millie

- I'm In Love With a Wonderful Guy from South Pacific

- Ribbons Down My Back from Hello, Dolly!

Best of luck!

Listed here are some musical theatre pieces that simply appear like just right "Dorthy songs" most of the time. - Mama Who Bore Me (Spring Awakening) - any one Can Whistle (someone Can Whistle) - Love, seem Away (Flower Drum song) - some distance From the residence i love (Fiddler on the Roof) - Goodbye My Love (Ragtime) - I don't know tips on how to Love Him (JC famous person) - ready for existence (once on This Island) - A beautiful night time (Cinderella) smash a leg! I'm hoping you get the section!

Defying Gravity

• Verity

If you want to sing a Disney song, my suggestion would be "Home" from

"Beauty and the Beast". It's "Over the Rainbow" in reverse.