Should I buy a car with a replaced transmission?

2005 Subaru Legacy with 101,000 miles for $8,000.00 (orginally 8,500 but he brought it down). The owner i'm buying the car from bought the car when it had about 93,000 miles and just last month he replaced the transmission since he said it went out. Other than that though he said the car was in great condition when he bought it and he's kept it really nice. It looks great inside and outside and he has all of the maintenance records, car fax report, and even the documents of the transmission replacement which he did at a subaru dealership for $3,200. Now i'm curious if the transmission will fail again? Anyone with experience on this? The car has a clean title btw and if you'd like to see the pictures, here's the link.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/10049668

Favorite Answer

If his neighbour had replaced the transmission while in his backyard, then you might have reason to worry. If it was done by the Subaru dealer, it should be fine. As good as new, and it probably has a new transmission warranty too. So the transmission should be the least of your worries.

How long a transmission lasts depends on many variables. The thing is however, they very often last well over 100, 000 miles. I would take a good look at the maintenance records you say he has. Often other problems with a vehicle lead to problems with the transmission. What I am trying to say is that factors affecting transmission longevity are often related to maintenance. I am in question as to whether or not this guy really did take care of the car as well as he claims he did.

I agree with jim that if the transmission was replaced at a dealership that this is a good thing. HOWEVER even dealerships offer the option of a new part versus a rebuilt part. Since a transmission is one of the most expensive parts to replace, it is my experience that many will opt for a rebuild to save money. Additionally, the replacement of the tranny is quite involved. There are many major parts removed and then re-installed as part of a tranny replacement. How can you be certain that a skilled technician did the replacement? Fact is that you can't be sure.

Am I the only one who feels that it is a bit strange that the owner would do a major repair only to sell the car after driving it only 8000 miles and spending all that money. Something smells fishy here. I say move on. Find another car.

Source(s): years as a service advisor

I'd buy the automobile if the guarantee is transferable. If its not transferable discover what transmission store did the repairs and Google the identify of the transmission store and see if there are any complaints about the store on workmanship and honoring transmission warranties. Next contact the local better business Bureau and investigate for criticism. Excellent good fortune

If I were you, I would have the car looked at by a mechanic and I would take it on a long test drive BEFORE I bought it. Why would the guy replace the transmission and then turn around and sell it?

Have you checked the actual value of the car on kbb.com and nadaguides.com? Maybe $8000 is OK, maybe not.