Any advice on learning Arabic?

I really want to lean it but I honestly dont know where to start! Whats the time Frame of proficiency in Arabic if I studied maybe like 3 hours a day? Also do you think there is any exchange programs in the middle east?

Favorite Answer

As a fluent, native Arabic speaker, I can tell you that you must learn two different things: Modern Standard Arabic and dialect Arabic. But the Modern Standard Arabic should come first. Without the grammar rules and the formal language training, you're just struggling to get by. Many learning guides just teach Egyptian Arabic because of its importance in television, cinema, and music in the East. But I strongly suggest that you study Modern Standard Arabic... use those three key words in your search for reference materials. A good place to start is "LearningArabicwithMaha" on Youtube... I use this resource to teach my Arabic student Arabic... a kind of supplementary lecture so that they can have more than just my notes and lectures.

Source(s): I am a native speaker (the Levantine dialect :))

Concerning the exchange programs, yes there is at the American University of Beirut. They also have a program at the university called "tandem language groups" where you pair up with another student and meet frequently. At the meeting, you have conversations in both languages, the one you're learning from him and the one the other student is learning from you, you can prepare topics ahead of time. It's a very effective strategy as I've tried it myself.

If you really like the language, or if you're interested in languages, i strongly encourage you to learn Arabic. As for me, i really like to learn new languages and i'm very interested in Hebrew, and although i know i won't ever need it and it won't ever benefit me, i started learning it online, just googled a website and began with the alphabet, the very start! It took me a month to learn the alphabet and few words, and gradually I'm advancing!

So, go for it! Good luck!

• N

Go to your library and get the Pimsleur language learning series. You will be speaking it in a month. I use both Pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. one-two punch. the best.