Traveling to Mexico, concerned about the Chagas disease?

I am taking a vacation to central Mexico for a couple of weeks. I recently heard about the "Chagas" disease that is affecting Latin America. I would like to know if I run a high risk of being infected by this disease? Also, what are some things that I can do to prevent contracting the diesease?

Thank You for your answers.

Favorite Answer

Chagas disease is spread by the Triatoma infestans otherwise known as 'kissing bug'. This insect is mainly found in Argentina and the sorrounding areas where most of these cases occur. Whilst there is a small population of these insects in México, it is really unlikely that you will get across one of them and even less likely you will get infected.

people ought to truly stop analyzing the information. "Chagas illness, the hot AIDS"... This illness exists in some tropical areas of Mexico yet not in significant Mexico... and it is totally uncommon to get stung via the malicious program who transmits that illness. Cows are those in possibility than people! How do i be attentive to this? My mum is a scientist who examine Chagas illness interior the Southern area of Mexico! I desire the stupid media might stop including crap to each and all of the damaging stuff they constantly say to stop people from traveling Mexico >:(

I live in Mexico and have never heard of it. i looked it up and the info says it is usually found in rural areas. if you are going to be in cities, you should be fine. you can use OFF or another bug repellent to protect against all kinds of bugs. ( This disease is transmitted by a bug bite.) Be sure to put the bug repellent on your face too. I really do not think it is common in mexico, especially in cities.