Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 9 years ago

How would you ask you to a teacher about personal stuff?

So, I'm 14 and I'm very shy and find it hard to trust an adult,. I always try my hardest to pass and get at least a C or higher on my report card. Anyways I've been going though a bit of a hard time lately I've been really stressed out with school work, friends, assignments, exam and also my parents have been fighting and dad wants to leave mum and move down the Victoria. I have to chose between them and I don't know what to do. I've lost 4 kg due to stress but i put that back on and I don't have anyone to talk to. I put a request the see the guidance officer a couple of weeks ago about my class and other stuff and got ignored. My teachers ask me if I'm okay because I get in this mood where I'm thinking and upset and they tell by my eyes when I'm upset and why they ask if I'm okay, I always say yes

1.How would you ask to talk to a teacher?

2. When would the best time be to talk to a teacher?

3. Do I have to be close to the teacher?

4. What would the teacher do?

Favorite Answer

I spoke to my health teacher about something personal because I trust her a lot. I love her! She's so lovely and really helped ...

A teacher you like and trust can be just the right person to turn to when you have a personal problem or situation you want to discuss. This is especially true if your school doesn't have a counselor. But even if you do have a counselor, you might find you click better with a teacher. Or you might want to talk to a teacher as well as a counselor.

It's natural to want someone to know what's going on in your life when things are stressful. When there's a lot going on at home, plenty of people want to talk to someone outside the family. Having another adult to share with like this can make a big difference in how you feel and how you're able to cope.

Letting a teacher know what's happening in your life gives you relief from the stress of carrying it alone. A teacher can be a sounding board, someone to just listen — and telling someone about your situation, thoughts, and feelings can sometimes help you better understand yourself.

A teacher might be able to help you think of things you can do to make your situation better. If stress is interfering with concentrating on your schoolwork, a teacher can give you practical advice on things like managing assignments.

A teacher won't think it's strange that you want to talk. In fact, most teachers would take it as a compliment that you value their support.

How can you approach a teacher to talk? Pick a time before or after class. Say, "I've got a situation I'm dealing with and I'd really like to talk to you about it. Is there a good time we could talk?" Most teachers would be happy to meet at lunchtime or during a free period.

he conversation doesn't have to be long. If you want, you can plan ahead so you know what you want to say. For example, think about what you want to get out of the conversation and then let the teacher know. For example:

"I'm having a problem and I need someone to listen as I think it through."

"I need your advice on something."

"Can you help me figure out ideas to cope?"

"Can you keep this confidential?"

You can end the conversation by saying something like, "Well, I just want to thank you for listening. It helps."

Source(s): I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't once I started. Good luck!

1) Just do it, don't over think it..just think of them like one of your friends...say "can I talk to you about something that I need help with in my personal life" or something like that

2)During lunch or a free mod

3)And it would help to at least know or be on thier good side before talk to them

4)He/she will probably talk to you..and try to help you...and if you want call your parents and tell them about your concern